Chapter 27

Tris's POV

My alarm rings on my phone, and I turn over to cut it off with a sigh.

I didn't get much sleep last night. Even though I said I was perfectly fine with giving Tobias time to figure things out, and I really am, that didn't stop my mind from being consumed with thoughts about him.

I was going to give Tobias as much time as he needed, but I couldn't stop thinking about what his decision would end up being.

Will he figure out that he actually is still in love with me and wants to be with me again?

Or will he decide that I hurt him too much to ever be in a relationship with me again?

If we get back together, how is it going to affect Toby? How are we going to tell him?

And how are we going to keep the relationship a secret from the media? They are always up in both of our business, so how are we going to keep them out of it? At least for a little while.

And what if he doesn't want to get back together? How is it going to affect our co-parenting situation with Toby? Will he even want to spend any time with me due to the awkwardness? Or will he just want to spend time with Toby alone?

I let out a big sigh as I press my pillow against my face.

I want to stop thinking about this. Whatever happens is supposed to happen. If we're really meant to be, then we'll end up together somehow, someday. And if we're not meant to be, then I'll just have to have a brave face and move on.

I guess I'm just afraid that if Tobias isn't the one for me, how am I going to find the right one? Because in my eyes, Tobias is perfect, and I feel like he's the one for me.

He's just so amazing. He's so kind and caring, and he is a natural born protector. He's protective with Toby, with our friends, with me. He always wants to make sure that everybody else is okay even if he isn't. He will put everyone else's needs way before his own. He is so selfless and honest and brave. He went through a lot as a child.

Sure, I did not have a good past at all, but at least my hurt didn't come from a family member. I was hurt by classmates and kidnappers and car accidents and sickness, but he was hurt by his own mother for years. She messed him up and broke him beyond belief until she was arrested, and he told me several times that he always believed what she said about him being a nothing.

But look at him now. He's one of the biggest musical artists in the world right now. His songs have been at the top of the charts ever since he started out. He's released several albums and music videos and performed at hundreds of arena shows. And he's already been on two tours. All in the last four years.

He didn't let his mother's abuse or awful words keep him down. Yes, he struggled with them for a long time, but he was finally able to overpower them and make something big of himself.

And I love that about him.

He fought so hard to get to where he is today, and it inspires me to do the same. This guy that I was lucky enough to meet changed my life, and I will forever be grateful to him. No matter where we both end up.

I put the pillow back down on the bed and grab my phone off of the nightstand. I scroll through my notifications, stopping when I see a message from Tobias.

I let my hopes swell up but then quickly make them deflate. It's literally been one night. I doubt he has made a decision by now.

Tobias ❤️: Hey!! I remembered that we didn't talk about when you wanted Toby home. I was thinking about bringing him back sometime in between lunch and dinner. Maybe around 4:00? Unless you have plans and want him back earlier than that