Chapter 14

"I don't know how to feel about it Diane."

I take a sip of the lemonade that was served at every group meeting.

After the group meetings, Diane and I always talked one on one about things going on within our lives.

"I just think you like the man."

I almost choke on my lemonade listening to her and shake my head.

"No, no, it's not like that."

She crosses her arms and smirks asking, "What is it like then?"

"It's more of a close best friend thing."

"Mmcht, if you say so, but I'm about to go, I'll see you later."

I tell her goodbye and pick up my purse heading towards the door also. As I'm driving, my mother calls me but I ignore it since I was heading to work in a few minutes.

After I arrive, I go in and see several people cutting their eyes at me. What's going on now?

Willow steps on the elevator with me as I ask, "Why is everyone acting so weird lately?"

She widens her eyes and taps on her tablet. "Have you not seen the video of Micah's girlfriend?"

I shake my head no as she opens and plays a video on her tablet.

The video shows Gabby throwing and breaking furniture with a bat in the lobby of Beau Monae. She looks at the camera and then starts swinging at the paparazzi with the bat.

I look at the video in shock but also try to hold back my laughter. It's fucked up what she did but it's the little kid bat she's using for me.

"Micah is also in your office to see you."

"Okay thank you Willow."

I walk in my office to see Micah in the chair looking as if he's on the verge to start crying.

"Good morning."

"Can you believe what she did? All because I told her I can't make her executive of the company."

He scoffs and looks at the ground. There was a moment of silence until all of a sudden, he bursts out into a cry.

I widen my eyes and walk over to comfort him. "She's not worth it, you'll find someone better."

Between his crying he says, "I thought she was the one, b-but she's a crazy bitch!!!"

It took everything in me to not laugh at the last statement he made. As you can tell, I am not the best person to come to when people are feeling down. Hell, I can't even get my own emotions together to try to help someone else.

"There are plenty of other women, there is someone for you somewhere."

He looks up at me with his tear filled eyes and tries to lean in to kiss me.

I lean back and push him away softly. "Woah there. You're just doing this because you're emotional right now."

He takes a long deep sigh looking away knowing I was telling the truth.

"How about we go get something to eat? I think a good seafood boil would help."

After wiping his eyes, a slight smile appears on his face. "I think that will help."

Later On

"These crab legs are really good!" Micah cracks open another crab leg and dips it in his sauce.

I nod and respond saying, "This is the best seafood place in Charlotte. I always came here when I first moved."

"Did it take you a while to adjust after leaving your marriage?"

I was taken back by the out of the blue question slightly as I take a sip of my water. "It did take some time but I think my situation is different than the one you just got out of."

"Oh yea, I wasn't trying to compare it to yours, it's just hard to wrap around the fact she would go crazy like that. I've never seen her act that way." 

"Did it ever occur to you that she may have been using you? You know, ever since your mom gave you the company."

He squints his eyes in confusion and looks at his food to avoid looking at me. He mumbles, "She was someone I loved. You try not to think about the bad things in them. There's some good somewhere. Well that's what I thought before today."

I wonder if Micah saw Gabby doing things that showed her true self like today, but he just chose to ignore it. His childhood with his parents arguing may have influenced him ignoring stuff now. Oh my god, listen to what I'm saying, you can tell I go to therapy.

"Don't worry, things will work out for you eventually, but I think you should keep working hard and let that one person find you."

He nods and says, "Thanks for everything Kamaria. I really appreciate it."