Chapter 18

"So the party I'm hosting is tomorrow night. Are you going to be there?"

Micah nods and takes the pan of turtle brownies we made out the oven. "You know I'll be there. You found something to wear or do I have to help?"

"I found something already but what will you be wearing?"

"I don't know, what kind of party is this?"

I take the knife and cut the brownies saying, "It's just a wine tasting party, not a elegant one, just casual. I haven't had any parties lately and it would be nice to come together with everyone. If you want to match, I'm wearing denim tomorrow night."

"Alright, I'll be there and I will see what I have in my closet. Gotta be there to support my oatmeal pie."

A small laugh escapes my mouth as he pulls me in a warm embrace. "Uhn uhn, not you calling me a oatmeal pie. Where do you get this stuff from babe?"

Before he could respond, my phone starts to ring. Glancing over at it, I see Terrell's name at the top.

Micah looks at the phone as we exchange looks. "You're not going to get it?"

"No, it's not important. This is our time together my Swiss roll."

He bursts out laughing at his nickname. "Now that is worse than oatmeal pie. It's crazy how we just naming each other Little Debbie cakes and shit."

"Your cousin Raine was right, we are weirdos."

As soon as my phone stops ringing, it starts ringing again with Terrell's name. Why is it that someone is always calling me during my free time?

"You can answer it, it's fine. I have a meeting in the morning so I'm about to head out."

Damn it. What does Terrell want even want while he's calling back to back like this?

I walk over to pick up my phone and tell him, "Alright, don't forget to take some brownies. I love you and text me when you get home."

"I love you to and I'll see you tomorrow."

He gives me a peck on my lips and leaves, taking some of the brownies with him. I pick up the phone and answer, "Hello?"

"Hey, what you up to?"

"Nothing now. What's up with you calling multiple times?"

"Oh, I was just wondering if you were free tomorrow, I had some work I could need help w-"

Cutting him off I say, "I'm sorry but I am busy tomorrow."

"With what?"

I scoff in the phone and ask, "You in my business?"

"I-well um...I'm sorry about asking."

"Hmm, if you wanted to know that badly, I'm hosting a wine tasting party tomorrow night after I come home from work."

"Seems extravagant. Can I come?"

"Um, sure. It begins at 8 p.m and it's a casual event."

"Alright, I will be there."

Suddenly, a wave of awkwardness and silence comes across us on the phone.

I break it with, "So...how are your wife and kids?"

"There doing good. I'm off work next week so I'll be on a flight to go spend some time with them. I hate this going back and forth for work thing. My daughters have been calling me nonstop asking when will I be back but they don't fully understand yet, you know?"