Chapter 22

"I want to thank everyone for coming out to my birthday dinner. Mainly, I want to thank my wife, kids and mother for flying here. I greatly appreciate and love you all."

Terrell holds up his glass and gives Janelle a quick kiss. It's unbelievable how he continues to make it seem like he didn't express all the feelings he still has for me just the other day.

"That's men for you," as my mother says.

I continue to observe them and Raine's words kept echoing over and over throughout my head.

"Auras like greed, death and lust are all over you."

What did she mean by that statement? I'm starting to understand the lust part a bit but greed and death? I couldn't wrap my head around what she was talking about with those two.

After Terrell gave his speech, the dinner started to come to a close.

"Thank you for everyone coming out and I hope everyone has a safe and great rest of the evening!"

The crowds started to clear out and I notice Terrell's wife and children getting ready to leave.

"Daddy, when will you come back home? We have a soccer game tomorrow! Are you going to be there?"

"Yes daddy, are you going to be there?"

Janelle crosses her arms and gives Terrell a look saying, "Will you be there for their game?"

Terrell sighs and kneels down to them stating, "Girls, you know I'm busy with work, but I'll be there for the next game. I promise."

"It's the championship daddy! You have to be there!"

Janelle places her hand on the girls and says, "Girls, go give your grandmother a hug before we leave."

They start to look down and with their sad eyes but eventually walk over to Kim. Janelle buries her face in her hands and exhale. "Terrell, you know I don't like this... They ask about you every night and I can't keep lying to them. It feels like I'm doing this alone..."

"It's only for a few more months Nelle, I promise I'm going to be back sooner than you think."

"There are hundreds of jobs you qualify for back home Terrell."

"They don't have the same opportunities Janelle. We're not doing this again, not here."

She places her hand on his cheek and looks in his eyes, pleading, "Come back home with us. Please."

"Janelle, I can't...You k-"

Janelle removes her hand and shakes her head, rolling her eyes slightly. "You have a good rest of the evening."

Damn.

She walks away and Terrell looks down rubbing the back of his neck, knowing he fucked up.

He glances over at me and I quickly look away, hoping he wouldn't notice I saw the entire thing.

I should've hoped even more because as soon I looked away, he walks toward me.

"It's not very nice to listen in on people's conversations you know."

The nerve.

"I wouldn't be listening if you two weren't so loud."

Terrell sighs as if he was over the entire situation. "Cut me some slack Kamaria. But she's right, there are jobs back home."

"Then why do you continue to stay here then?"

The last person from the party headed out the door, leaving Terrell and I alone.

"It's complicated..."

"It's not because of me...is it?"

There was a bit of silence from him which indeed answered my question. Shaking my head, I pick up my purse, getting ready to leave. "I can't believe this..."

"Kamaria, wait, please. Let's talk about this."

"What is there to talk about?!?! Terrell you have the perfect life and family at home! Why are you throwing that down the drain for me; someone you gave up years ago?!?!"

"Do you really think I'm doing it on purpose?! I love Janelle but I'm IN love with you Kamaria. Seeing and talking with you after all these years made me realize that I lost something valuable..."

I stay silent and avoid looking at him. He places his hand on my cheek and gazes into my eyes whispering, "I lost you Kamaria, and I want to make it right..."

Terrell pulls me into an embrace, continuing to look in my eyes, making me feel flustered. He starts to lean in to me, but I turn my head from him.

"I loved you Terrell but...it's too late for this...I can't let you take me back to that dark place I was in when we were together. What's best for us is to continue going our separate ways and leave it that way."

He exhales but nods, finally surrendering.

Later

The entire drive back home, my mind kept replaying the scene between Terrell and I. It felt good expressing my true feelings and him finally understanding.

Then again, I feel bad for being so frank with him...

"Micah, I'm back! Where are y-"

On the ground were rose petals that led upstairs. I smile slightly wondering what he was up to.

Following the roses lead me to the balcony and I froze in awe of it all. The balcony was decorated with my favorite roses, candles, and dinner with Micah waiting for me with wine.

"Mmm, you've outdone yourself sir."

He laughs and pulls the chair out for me to sit. "What, I can't treat you nicely or something?"

Blushing, I giggle and state, "Nooo, I'm just a bit surprised, but in a good way. This is really beautiful baby, I love it."

A smile appears on his cute little face which makes me smile even more. Micah pulls the chair out for me to sit and pours two glass of wine.

"So, did you get whatever you had to do done at work?"

"Yes, it was just to turn in some ideas to Tina about the child labor thing."

"Shit, I forgot to do that, let me get Willow on the pho-"

Before I could get up, he takes my hand saying, "Baby relax. I knew you had a lot on your plate so I gave her some more ideas saying it was from you."

"Ugh, thank you so much my wittle Swiss Roll."

Micah bursts out laughing from me calling his nickname. "Not the Swiss Roll thing again."

All of a sudden, Micah gets a notification from his phone. He looks at the message and his smile drops quickly.

"What is it?"

He scrolls back up and shows me his phone with a picture of Terrell embracing me from earlier. "Nah, what is this?"

I know it's been LONG overdue since I have updated🫣 However, I haven't forgot about you guys so I will be updating this book more regularly! Thank you again for all the support! 🫶🏽