Chapter 5

I enter my office to see my mother sitting in my chair. What the fuck is she doing in MY damn chair?!?!

She gives me a glare before standing up saying, "Kamaria! Where the hell have you been?!?! I've been calling you multiple times!"

"I just celebrated a little bit too much last night, but relax, I'm here now."

"Here doesn't make up for those 2 hours you missed."

My mother could be such a pain in the ass at times. And right now is not the time because I'm still trying to get over this hangover. Willow comes in at the right time to relieve me from my mother's mouth.

"Ms. Miller, your interview has been rescheduled to tomorrow for the same time. Even though you missed the interview this morning, they really want to see you talk about how it feels to win Most Diverse Makeup Company. You're meeting with your interns are also in 10 minutes."

"Alright and can you have my Iced Caramel Machiato ready when I get to the meeting?

"Yes mam."

"Thank you Willow."

She leaves the room as I look through my emails. My mother noticed I wasn't paying attention to her rambling so she changes the conversation.

"Did you see Vivica this morning on the news?"

"Yes I did."

"Now it's your time Kamaria."

I look up from my computer confused and ask, "What are you talking about?"

"You're the quote on quote "Head Bitch in Charge" now. Vivica was the only person above you and now you can take her spot."

I don't know why but my mother never did like Vivica. I sometimes think it's because she treats me more like a daughter than my own mom does at times. 

"What do you have against her? It's like everything is a competition with you."

"Oh I don't want to hear this bull. I have nothing against her. I'm just telling you that you can finally run this makeup industry."

I'm tired of hearing her shit already. I get up to go to my meeting to stop myself from snapping on her.

Jay smiles as I come in and says, "Good morning Ms. Miller."

I'm really thinking about firing him but he is a good asset when he works with certain people.

"Good morning to you all. I am very disappointed with the ideas everyone submitted. What the hell were you guys thinking calling a brown based eyeshadow palette "Dirt?" Who came up with that?!?!"

The room fell silent as their eyes wander around at each other.

"You know what, I don't care who made up the name, you guys agreed on it which makes all of you guilty. This makeup company manufactures makeup primarily for brown and black people! That is an insult to them and to yourself."

They stay quiet as I look at them in disgust.

This next thing I tell them will lighten the mood.

"Next topic on the agenda. I want to give a congratulations to you all for last night. Because of the win last night, I want to give everyone working for me a promotion. You guys deserve it."

Their faces light up in joy as I pass around their paychecks.

"Thank you so much Ms. Miller."

"The pleasure is all mine. You all are dismissed. Have some ideas for the Spring 2020 Collection in by next week!"

As they start to leave, I close my folder and head back to my office. As I'm walking back, Willow comes to me and hands me a stack of letters.

"What is all this for?"

"These are congratulation letters from Janet Jackson, Lady Gaga, and others, but there was one specific name that the mail sorters didn't recognize."

She hands me the papers as I smile. "Ok thank you."

I go back in my office and read some of the letters. The one from Janet Jackson really made me smile because she was one of my favorite singers when I was younger.

After reading many, I finally get to the last letter.

Dear Kamaria,
Wow, I would have never expected you to be in the position you are now. I am very proud and want to say congratulations on winning Most Diverse Makeup Company. It's weird that we haven't talked in a while but I would like to reconnect with you just to see how everything is going. I'm in North Carolina for a business trip and I am leaving Wednesday. I know our past was rocky, but it would be great to catch up.
From,
Terrell Matthews

I almost lost my damn mind reading the letter. Why after 8 long years, he wants to "reconnect"?

I felt myself start panicking as I rethink our last conversation. When our daughter died I just went down into a deep dark place that I cant describe to anyone. After all the hard work I did to get myself here, I can't relapse and go back to that.

After some thinking, I decide to tell my assistant to call him to set up a day to meet up. This should be interesting.