Episode 92

I ran into my room after I got the photo from Lie, not minding how I must have looked to anyone else

I ran into my room after I got the photo from Lie, not minding how I must have looked to anyone else. I could feel it in my bones. This was the clue we needed to break the case wide open. If I brought this and the photo of Vanny Chastity sent me we'd be able to find them at long last. Our quest would finally be over.

T was laying in our bed when I opened the door. "What's the matter, Ali?"

I set the photo on our dresser before rummaging through the things on my desk. As it was currently as bit of a disaster after my late-night "detective work" session, my printer was buried beneath everything. That was what I needed.

"Ali." T sat up. "What are you looking for? You're acting like the house is on fire or something."

I could hardly hear her. I continued ruffling my things around until I at least uncovered my printer. I groaned after I examined it. Why did I buy such a normal printer?

"What's wrong?" T was standing behind me now.

Mama and Dad had a printer in their room. What happened to it? I didn't remember taking it.

"Ali." T pressed her palms into my shoulders. "You're acting like a chicken with its head cut off."

I went to push her hands away. I had to find that printer.

"Kayleigh, Alain!" T took a sharp breath. "You listen to me right now!" My big sister then took a deep breath. "It is not productive to run around like a chicken with its head cut off."

That was what finally broke me out of my frenzied state. I fell into my desk chair because of how much I'd relaxed.

T knelt in front of me and put her hands over mine. "Do you feel better now?"

My flames pooled in my cheeks. "Yeah..."

"Can you tell me what you're looking for?"

I motioned toward the photo on our dresser with my eyes. "Look at that."

T picked it and examined it. "Who are these people?"

"No clue who the little girl is, but those people are Lie's parents. The photo looks like it was likely taken recently."

"But where did she get it from then?"

My gaze drifted toward the ceiling. "The same way I got things from you and Eni when I was growing up."

"The way you got things from us?"

"In my dreams."

I could feel T tense up. "Didn't that mess up your sleep schedule more than it already just is?"

"Yep."

"I guess that explains why the boys weren't able to wake her up this morning..." She squeezed my hand. "Did you know?"