Episode 7: Hannah

I was in the front room with Recah and my brother

Recah ran her fingers through her hair. "Why did you guys want me to tag along to your meeting with Hannah?"

"I got in contact with her last night." Ali put his hands behind his head. "She insisted on meeting an Engrad civilian."

Why hadn't he mentioned that when we discussed who we'd bring before we went to bed? He'd called her before that happened. I was sure of it.

"That takes our brother out of the equation since he's a prince." He glanced into my eyes. "We wouldn't wanna involve him, anyway, since he doesn't know what's going on."

She raised her eyebrows. Recah must've questioned why we kept our brother in the dark.

"I don't wanna bother Natalie with something so trivial." Ali folded his arms. "It might wind up feeling like watching paint dry for her."

She sighed. "You have a point there..."

"As for Duke, he's in a similar camp. As much as he cares about her, I don't know if he'll be able to understand everything."

I took over from there. "As for your brother—"

"—It wouldn't feel right if we brought him."

"I see what you mean..." She frowned.

What was going through Recah's mind? I couldn't glean anything from her eyes.

"We should get going." Ali checked for his phone and keys. "Hannah's a busy woman. I don't wanna keep her waiting."

The walk only took ten minutes or so.

I rang the doorbell, my heart banging inside my chest.

A woman about as tall as Recah answered with a smile. "Come on in." she stepped aside. "I've been excited to meet you since I talked to Noelle last week."

Recah leaned into her boyfriend.

Why had she been so nervous? I didn't know her as well as her brother or mine, but I couldn't imagine her like this a year and a half ago.

"Meeting Earth KKs and their friends is always fun." Hannah's eyes sparkled. "Most have incredible adventures while they're away."

Ali followed her. We lagged in the doorway.

"What do you want, princess?" Recah scowled. She had bags under her eyes I hadn't noticed before. "Won't they think we're doing something suspect out here?"

"Not if we're only out here for a minute." I took a breath. "Don't be surprised if she makes a big deal out of the Soulmate thing. Noelle told her about it last week."

Recah rolled her eyes. "Does Lain know?"

"Nope. I wanna mess with my little brother." I smirked. "Watching his reaction should be fun."