Episode 89

I was in the front room with Becca right now

I was in the front room with Becca right now. She was lying on the floor typing on her typewriter. I was laying on the couch because I wanted to be with her, but not distract her from her work.

There was something that made me feel less anxious when I was with her. Lately, I'd been worried that our dad wasn't proud of me again. Still when I was able to look at her, those feelings were washed away.

Becca didn't bother to look up from her typing. "Something the matter, Mar?"

"It's not that big a deal." I sighed. "I'm just worried about if Dad's proud of me again."

She looked up at me. "Marshall. You were able to survive and take care of Lie without the help of our family. How could he not be proud of that?"

I looked down at my hands. She had a point... Still that nagging voice in the back of my head was relentless today. If I did that for Lie, why didn't have the courage to do it for my own sister?

"I don't blame you." She ran her fingers through her hair. "As long as Masquerade was running around, it was probably better that I wasn't with you."

I knew that, but if I was being honest, it still went against my big brother instincts.

"Speaking of Dad, I've been meaning to ask you something, but I haven't gotten to up the courage to do it before now."

I raised my eyebrows. She wanted to ask me something? What could she possibly want to ask me?

"Y'know how Alain and I are planning to get married after things settle down?"

I tilted my head. "Yeah..."

"Would." My sister's cheeks were a bright scarlet red. "Would you walk me down the aisle when that time comes?"

I got down on the floor, so I could put my arms around her. I whispered in her ear, "Becca, I love you. How could that even be a question for me?"

Becca looked up at me and smiled for a split second. "I was planning to ask Aunt Lyn to be my maid of honor. I haven't written the letter, yet, though. Every time I go to sit down to write it, my mind goes completely blank. It's for one of the most important days in my entire life, and I'm completely terrorized by writer's block!"

"You'll figure something out." I ruffled her hair. "You always do."

That was when we both turned around. I didn't know about Becca, but my cheeks were burning.

Alain's dad was standing in front of the hallway. "You just wanted to ask your brother to do something that your dad isn't able to." He walked over to a brown, straw basket. "Don't mind me. I just came by to grab something I need to do my work tonight."

And then, as quickly as he came, Alain's dad was gone.

I jumped on the couch before someone else could drop in on us.

Becca kept her back to me. "Kayleigh. What on Engrada just happened?"

I picked up one of the throw pillows and squeezed it. "I have no idea... I just hope no one else saw that..."

"Me, too..." she said.

"Were you planning on having bridesmaids and stuff?" I asked.

She sighed. "I was planning on asking Ai to be one, but I'm not sure about anyone else. We were talking about trying to make Lie and Phoenix feel included."

"Are you guys going to invite Hannah and her kids then?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm pretty sure Alastair, Noah, and their brother would really want to be there."

They probably would. It wasn't a secret that Noah enjoyed spending time with Phoenix. I was pretty sure Alastair felt similarly, and their big brother had a soft spot for the youngest prince. As I understood it, Phoenix and Alastair were very similar.

"Speaking of Ai, I still haven't gotten around to asking her yet, either." She turned her attention back to her typewriter. "I'm pretty sure she'll say yes if I do, but I'm afraid that she'll turn me down..."

"Becca, I'm sure she'll be over the moon."

I didn't intend to tell my sister this, but I was sure Ai and Noelle had a bet about how long it would take for Alain to propose. No clue who won, but I didn't care since I didn't take part in that.

"I know... I just wanna get my shot at those fairy tales Aunt Lyn used to read to us when we were little..."

I pecked my sister on the top of her head. "I'm sure it'll work out fine. If it doesn't want to work out then we'll make it!"

"Oh, Marshall..." My sister laughed. "You can be such a goof when you really want to."

My cheeks burned. I didn't think I'd been told that in a long time. Mom used to say something similar when I was younger. It always made me smile when I saw someone laugh.

That was when I left. I'd had more than enough embarrassment for one day, and I didn't want to embarrass myself anymore.

I went into my room and laid on my bed.

It was crazy to think that my little sister was going to be getting married soon. I could still remember what she was like as a little girl. She'd come a long way since then. She wasn't always at my heels anymore.

I found myself crying. It was still hard to believe that our parents wouldn't get to see their little girl get married. Even now, Alain was shy and awkward, but he was a great guy. I knew my sister would be loved and well taken care of if she was with him. That was more than enough for me.

I wiped away my tears. Cece, your little sister did a great job raising her son. I put my hand over my heart. May Kayleigh bless them with a long and loving marriage. 

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!