Episode 58: A Little Game of Pool

I had texted Seb last night

I had texted Seb last night. Tiana seemed to have mostly recovered from our battle, so I felt alright leaving the others in the house. I wanted hang out with him since I hadn't gotten to do that since before Duke's birthday.

It was crazy how busy we'd been the last couple months. Not necessarily as a group, but we should probably do something fun soon. It wasn't good to do nothing but work all the time.

Anyway, he got back to me when he got up about an hour ago. Jake had to go to someone's house to put some things together. Seb had to go with him since Jake wasn't good at navigating his surroundings. Seb also said that the people who owned the place wouldn't mind if we hung out in their house.

I wasn't sure about that part, but I wouldn't mind if we had to do something else. At this point, I just wanted to hang out with him. What we did didn't matter.

I stopped by Becca's room before I went to put my shoes on. I didn't know if this was just something we did or a traveler's habit, but unless the house was clearly dirty, we didn't wear our shoes inside.

Knocking, I opened the door slowly. "Hey, Becca. Wanted to let you know that I'm going to go hang out with my friend Seb."

"Have fun." She didn't look up from her typing. "Today will probably be a quiet day around here."

I was trying to not eavesdrop, but I couldn't help looking at what Becca was typing. "Oh? You're writing a letter to Aunt Lyn? I don't think I've seen you do that in a long time."

"Of course, I'm writing Aunt Lyn a letter!" Becca's cheeks were redder than a tomato. "I do happen to love her!" She turned her head. "When was the last time you wrote to anyone in our family?"

It was my turn to blush. "It's been a while. I didn't want Izaz or the Council to intercept our letters." I scratched the back of my neck. "I did mention to her that Alain liked that book of hers he bought."

"By name?"

"Of course not." I shrugged. "That was way too risky back then."

It really would have been. If they knew Aunt Lyn was my family, they could've used that against me. If I said too much about Alain, that could have put his mission of rescuing the royal siblings in jeopardy. Those were not things either of us needed.

"What are you writing to her about, anyway?"

"For me to know and you to find out." My sister shot me a glare. "Go goof off with your friend!"

I put my hands up. "Alright, I will... Text me if you need anything."

I really should write to Aunt Lyn. I knew she liked to hear from me. It was fun to listen to her. She always told the best stories. With how long it had been, she probably had a lot to tell me.

***

After that, I went on my way and texted Seb I was coming. I just needed directions because I didn't know where the people lived.