Special Episode

*Noah*

Today was Cole's birthday. He was turning twenty-three. It had been a little over three years since I met him. Even that already felt like I knew him a long time.

The anniversary of the day Star came home was last month. Things were rough when he came home. He had gone backwards after his friend died. That was so hard to watch.

I sighed. He knew how to put on a smile, but Eni struggled when his sister wasn't doing well back in September. It dug up memories I thought I'd forgotten...

Ame popped into my room with a box.

"What's that?" I asked.

She smiled. "What you're going to give Cole later."

"Okay." I furrowed my eyebrows. "But what is it?"

"Art supplies." She set the box on my bed. "You can't really go wrong with those."

I looked at the list of supplies printed on the box. "But how did you know what to get?"

She folded her arms. "I knew who to ask that would point me in the right direction. Did you want to help wrap it?"

"Of course. I can do that."

She set the roll of wrapping paper and tape on top of the box. "I heard the baby started walking. I'd love to see that for myself."

I laughed. "Yes. He's very proud of himself."

Ame shut the door behind her.

I took my time wrapping the gift cuz I wanted to make sure it looked nice. After I finished, I hid it under my bed, so I could save it for later. I glad there was a little time before the party.

***

I went into the living room. Star was holding Noiry.

Isa had her arms out. "Go rest before the party."

Star looked down as he handed Noiry to his mommy. Star noticed I had come in after they left. He did his sign for "go".

I copied it to ask where?

He motioned for me to follow him.

He brought me into the backyard and laid down in his hammock.

I laughed behind my hand. "Oh. You wanted some company?"

He then put his fingers to his mouth to ask if I knew when we were gonna eat.

"Probably not for a few hours. The party's supposed to be at six."

I heard the door open.

"It's always amazing to watch you talk to your big bro," Zeke said.

My cheeks heated up. "It's nothing special!"

He shrugged. "You're just that used to it."

Hannah and everyone had used sign with Star since I was at least three. Of course, it was normal to me.

He looked at Star. "What are you listening to?"

It took Star a minute to answer. "En made it."

Zeke raised an eyebrow.

"En takes music Star likes and makes new music with a synthesizer," I explained.

"Sounds cool."

I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you here, anyway?"

"I wanted to give you your jacket back."

"You could have done that at school on Monday. We have plenty of jackets."

Star asked me to grab his blanket since I was standing next to the basket, we kept it in.

"And you're not cold?" Zeke was eying me.

I took it from him. "Star just asked me to come outside." I took a breath. "We're having a party. Did you wanna stay for dinner?"

"Nah. Have fun."

Zeke waved at Star before he left through the side gate.

Star looked at me. M-O-M? D-A-D?

"Yeah..." My cheeks heated up again. "I was missing them this morning. Zeke probably noticed."

"That was why I wanted waffles."

"You wanted waffles?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "While I was at school?"

He looked up at the sky. "Oh. Maybe."

"Why did you want waffles?"

"You're probably too little to remember." He smiled. "Mommy used to make good waffles."

I raised an eyebrow. "What did she do?"

"She put vanilla in them. On Saturday, we'd eat waffles then go to the park."

I wished I could remember... That was so long ago...

"It was kinda like when we take Noiry to the park."

Was it? Was I cute like that, too?

***

The party went by in the blink of an eye. My big brother had enjoyed it more than I thought he would. He usually doesn't like being in large gatherings.

Cole followed me into the backyard. "That gift was your idea, wasn't it?"

"Kind of." My cheeks were burning. "Ame helped, too."

"Nothing wrong with that." He smiled. "Everyone needs help sometimes."

I turned my head. "I wanted to thank you... for helping with my big bro when he was working."

"That was nothing." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Cy did most of the hard work with that."

"But I can't thank her, can I? I never got to meet her." I was shouting now. "If I lost Atty while he was working, I would've lost the only family I had left!"

That when someone came up from behind and hugged me.

I looked back. "Atty..."

"I know, Noah." He spoke gently. "That was why I wanted to get home so badly. I wanted to get back to you."

"Wouldn't you still have Hannah and everybody if that happened?" Cole asked.

Star let go of me. "It wouldn't be the same."

"Why not?" He raised an eyebrow.

"They mentioned there was a car accident, right?"

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Ran did at one point."

"Noah got out of it okay. I'm pretty sure I tried to shield him, but I can't remember anymore..." Star paused. "I just got a broken leg, but our parents didn't make it. Noah had just turned three, and I just turned ten."

"What happened with his friend dug up old memories?"

I bit my lip. "Yeah..."

Star used sign to ask Cole to go, so he did.

I buried my face in my big bro's shirt. I couldn't stop myself from crying.

He rubbed my back and waited for me to finish.

He smiled aas he wiped away my tears. "Want some ice cream? I didn't have any yet, either."

I nodded. That sounded good.

***

Thoughts on the special? The brothers and their dynamics? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!