Episode 31: Purity and Love

Only when a sleeping T took me into her arms was I able to relax enough to fall asleep myself

Only when a sleeping T took me into her arms was I able to relax enough to fall asleep myself. I'd been on edge since she dozed off. I thought about checking on Eni. Watching him sleep peacefully made me feel better since I knew he was alright. But I didn't.

Once I fell asleep, the first thing that struck me was the cold. Kayleigh. It was so cold. I hadn't felt this cold in a long time. The last time was right before I went into my first evolution on Engrada. I tried to wake my flames but couldn't. They were too cold.

It was pitch black. I couldn't see anything. Naturally, I tried using my ripples to get a read on my surroundings. I wasn't getting any feedback back.

All I could hear was my own heart rate and my own breathing. I was cut off from everything else.

That was when a blinding white light filled the space.

I stumbled a bit before my vision came into focus. I was left with a dull headache, but at least I could see now.

I saw the Vanny I saw that time I ran into Alastair and Noah at the coffee shop. This time, though, I saw pain and not anger in her eyes. She was sad.

Why was she sad? Because she still couldn't see her family?

Vanny looked into my eyes for a good minute. She had teared up. She shook her head. Her mouth moved but no words came out.

Vanny turned her back to me and walked away. She had her head down.

"Vanny! Wait! Please!"

It didn't matter how fast I ran. With each passing second, she slipped further away. Before I knew it, Vanny was gone...

I bit my tongue when I woke up.

T pulled me closer. "Come here, Little Brother. It's alright. It was just a bad dream."

Was it?

"You're shivering." T spoke softly. "Is the air on too high?"

I was?

I hugged my sister. I didn't want her to get up. I wanted to feel her warmth. I wanted to feel her heartbeat. I wanted her right here.

"It's alright. I'm right here. Nothing bad can happen when I'm right here."

I felt T tense up.

"I'm alright. It's just cramps."

***

We stayed like that for a while. I didn't really do a whole lot besides read in the morning. After I fixed lunch for Eni, I dropped him off, so he could hang out with Noah. I didn't stick around, though, cuz I didn't feel like talking.

I went to get Ai after that. Naturally, she'd want in on this party for Duke. The two did seem fairly close.

I wasn't as careful as I should've been, though...

Somehow, I opened the gate directly inside her house. She and her dad were sitting on the couch. My flames pooled in my cheeks when I realized.

"Relax." Ai got up. "You're fine."

Her dad got up too. "Nice to see you, son."

"Daddy. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't remember you."

I didn't. I'd met her dad before? When?

Ai's dad offered me his hand. "Hiroto Koizumi. It's a pleasure to properly meet you, son."

"Alain Watanabe." As I didn't know what else to say, I bowed.

"I don't know how long those two will be able to keep him occupied." Ai grabbed her bag. "We should go."

Her dad waved. "See you later, sweetie."

We went back though the gate I hadn't closed. It spit us out in the den. That had been where I decided to open the gate this time.

"Are you tired?" she asked. "I can take care of everything."

"I'm fine. It was just a rough night." I walked out into the hall. "Is this what you're wearing later?"

"No. I packed clothes for it in my bag."

I nodded. "You can change in my room. T shouldn't mind."

It was incredible to think Lie was taller than her now. Not quite fifteen, she still had time to go. I couldn't imagine how tall Lie would be when she was fully grown.

We enjoyed ourselves with our birthday dinner for Duke. Marshall led us in a toast for his sixteenth birthday. Duke seemed to enjoy our gifts, too. That was a relief.

T went to take a warm bath after the party since she wasn't feeling well again. The others went into Duke and Lie's room to look at his new clothes. That left me alone with Ai.

"Can we go into your room or would the princess rather not be bothered?"

I raised an eyebrow. Why would Ai ask that? "I think T would be more bothered by the fact that you just referred to her as princess."

"Probably."

"We can go into my room." I put my hands in my pockets. "Are you ready to go home?"

Ai averted her gaze. "Not quite yet."

She didn't want to go home yet? She must've wanted to talk to me. Why couldn't she do it over the phone? Why did it feel like she waited?

"Who is this?" she asked.

I repeated her question. I had no clue who she was asking about.

Ai picked up a photo I had pinned on my desk. It was of me and Mama and Vanny and Chastity. It was the one Mama showed me when I first came home. "Who is this girl with dark hair and eyes like the ones you had?"

"I'm in Mama's arms." My flames pooled in my cheeks. "The one in front of us is Audrey."

Ai studied Audrey's face. "So, this is the famous Audrey who loved to torment you." She gritted her teeth. "If I ever met her, I'd have half a brain to give her a piece of my mind."

"Please don't..." I bit my lip. "The girl with the fiery hair is my childhood friend Vanna. The one holding her is her elder sister Chastity. Why are you so interested in Chastity?"

Ai's eyes looked clouded. "There's something about her. I can't put my finger on what. It's like I should know her or something."

Chastity felt familiar to Ai? How could that be? When would they have possibly met?

"I'd like to go home now."

"Okay..."

I opened the gate for her, and she was gone just like that. What came over her? I didn't think I'd ever seen Ai act like that. It was abrupt and shaky. She wasn't usually like that.

***

Thoughts on Ai here? Ain? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!