𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖛𝖊

CHAPTER FIVE
VALIANT ( ii. )

     The tone of the Tournament shifts during the third fight of the day

     The tone of the Tournament shifts during the third fight of the day. A knight, Valiant, holds a shield decorated with three jade-colored snakes and attacks his opponent with vigorous aggression that even puts Calliope on her toes.  He is the only Knight in the Tournament that seems to have any chance of beating Arthur, but Calliope senses something off about him.

She can't put her finger on what it is, but Knight Valiant rubs her the wrong way. It's just like the feeling she got about Lady Helen, who turned out to be a witch with intentions of killing Arthur. Calliope shifts her eyes to Knight Valiant as he exits the arena, taking off his helmet with a hungriness in his eyes—a hungriness for blood and victory.

The blonde strolls through the many tents that have been set up outside the arena for the knights. She spots Merlin taking off Arthur's armor by his tent. Calliope stops in front of them, her gaze landing on the blond Prince, his brow caked in a fresh coat of sweat and dirt.

     "You did well for someone that lost to a girl yesterday," she jokes, and he sends her an eye roll.

     "I've already told you that I was going easy on you because I didn't want to hurt you."

     Merlin holds in a laugh as Calliope leans closer to him, "Sure, whatever you must think to sleep at night."

     Their attention is pulled away from Calliope's taunts when Knight Valiant begins walking towards them. Merlin watches him with cautious eyes, seeming to have the same reservations as his friend.

     "Knight Valiant looks pretty handy with a sword."

     Calliope looks him up and down as pride encompasses his every step, "He's too aggressive with his attacks," Merlin and Arthur glance at her, their eyebrows lifting. "Impatient men with swords in their hands are easy to knock down."

     Knight Valiant breathes heavily from his latest fight as his eyes lock onto Arthur. Coming to a halt, he stands across from him with his helmet hanging from his right hand.

     "May I offer my congratulations on your victories today?"

     Arthur offers him a small nod, "Likewise."

     "I hope to see you at the reception this evening," his dark eyes dart to Calliope, "and you also, My Lady."

     He begins to walk away, and Merlin scoffs, "What about me?" Calliope looks at him as he shakes his head. "Creep."

     Arthur lets out a quick cackle of amusement, "Yeah, I think we all know Calliope is no lady."

Narrowing her eyes, she fires back her own retaliation, her words as sharp as the prince's sword, "At least I'm not an arrogant prat."

     He leans towards her with a grin, "Yeah...Whatever you must think to sleep at night," Calliope's face emits annoyance as Arthur turns to Merlin. "For tomorrow you need to repair my shield, wash my tunic, clean my boots, sharpen my sword, and polish my chainmail."