𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞-𝖔𝖓𝖊

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
THE WITCHFINDER ( iii. )

Calliope can get used to being cold

The assassin has camped out on many winter nights as snow coated the ground around her. She's been so cold she couldn't feel her limbs—numbness in every vein until her very blood was icy. However, something about being in this depressing cell with soaking wet clothes, alone, makes her feel colder than ever. Maybe it's the fact that she can only sit and wait while Aredian goes after Merlin and Gaius, and probably Morgana too. Or maybe it's because she's so angry at herself for hesitating to get rid of him when the opportunity was presented.

If she gives into his demands, she'll only be cursing everyone to his trap. He'll never let anyone go who he believes to be guilty, but Calliope would be lying if she said she hasn't considered confessing in a desperate attempt to save those she cares about. The rational part of her brain, though, knows her confession wouldn't actually save anyone. It would only condemn her to a fiery death with Gaius and Merlin right behind her.

Still, she has nothing to keep her company except for her thoughts, even when she tries to shut them out. Uther has ordered for her to have no visitors under any condition, so she might as well just talk to the mice running around her cell.

When she hears quick footsteps coming closer, Calliope stands up and conceals her hair pin in her palm. Four guards stop in front of her cell, and she quirks an eyebrow at them.

"What's going on?"

"The King has ordered for you to be brought to the council chambers."

The guard unlocks the cell while another one clasps handcuffs around her wrists again, "Really?" She asks.

He shrugs, "It's just a precaution."

"A lousy one," she mutters as they shove her towards the stairs.

The guards stick close to her as they move through castle corridors. Two have a constant grip on her and the others have their hands ready to draw their swords. Calliope squints as harsh sunlight bleeds in through the windows. She had grown used to the darkness of her cell.

She's not surprised too see that everyone has gathered in the council chambers again. Prince Arthur is on his feet the second he sees her being dragged through the doors, his eyes scanning her body for any injuries, but his father grips his shoulder, giving him a pointed stare and shaking his head. The assassin manages a small smile, hoping it keeps him calm enough not to do anything rash for the time being.

I'm fine, she mouths, and some of the tension seems to fade from his body as he sits back down on his throne. Moments later, right after Calliope is forced to stand before the King, the doors open again, revealing Aredian dragging Gaius with him. The physician looks terrible, equally drenched in cold water, chest heaving as Aredian forces him to his knees beside Calliope. Anger boils in the pit of her stomach as she sees his condition, but the Witchfinder looks as confident as ever. Calliope considers burying her hair pin in his neck right there in front of everyone. It'd almost be worth it.