𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞-𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊

CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE
THE WITCH'S QUICKENING ( ii. )

Calliope doesn't think much about the crystal as she spars underneath rolling clouds

Calliope doesn't think much about the crystal as she spars underneath rolling clouds. Her trip with Morgana was a success, both of them returning safely and without a scratch.

The guard across from her drops his sword with a hiss, clutching the incision on the back of his hand. Calliope sheaths her sword, quirking an eyebrow, "Your grip is too stiff. The blade should feel like an extension of your arm."

"Anyone else feeling up to sparring with Cal today?" Leon extends his arms to the handful of guards standing on the grassy training field. "Really, no takers?"

The assassin chuckles to herself, eyes drifting to the sky, "Maybe they want to watch us spar."

"Is that a challenge?"

The corner of her lip turns up, "Possibly."

His eyes are filled with contemplation and the glint of having a chance to best her in a fight. Leon places his hands on his hips, prepared to agree, but then a servant calls out to them from the path to the courtyard.

"The King requires everyone's presence in the Throne Room immediately."

Calliope sighs, "What now?"

Helping Morgana take the crystal to the druids was a decision Calliope made in order to protect someone she cares about. This artifact is of crucial importance to Alvarr, and he wouldn't have stopped until it was in his hands. But now, Calliope knows exactly where their camp is along with its weak points, and she knows innocent women and children are there too. If some sort of conflict were to arise, she has all the knowledge she needs to intervene.

And there's no doubt in her mind that Merlin has some plan of his own brewing in the background.

She takes her usual place near the far wall in the Throne Room. Murmuring whispers from the members of the council mix in the air. The King is seated on his throne with Prince Arthur at his right hand and Morgana on his left. Across the room, standing in front of one of the hanging, red banners, Merlin meets her gaze. His eyebrows are drawn together, his eyes pinched and tight with worry. He tilts his head towards Morgana, but Calliope only shrugs and tears her eyes away. She didn't meet up with Merlin after returning this morning, and she knows the sorcerer must have questions for her, but Calliope's first priority was never the crystal.

When Gaius stands before the King, Calliope leans forward to listen to every word, likely a crafted plan made in the physician's chambers beforehand to endure the crystal's return to Camelot.

"Sire, I have information regarding the Crystal Neahtid."

Uther stands, "You know the whereabouts of the crystal?"

"I believe so."

There's a subtle shift in Morgana's posture. Her body stiffens, her eyes widening ever so slightly as she risks a quick glance to Calliope.