𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
THE MOMENT OF TRUTH ( i. )

The words from the dragon persist in Calliope's mind for the rest of the week; she can't shake the reality that in order to stop the blood wraiths and Sepharin, she will have to die

Three weeks left to live; twenty-one days. How do you fit a lifetime into twenty-one days?

Merlin is determined to find another way, but Calliope knows in her heart that it's useless. She must pay the ultimate price for everything she's done. When making deals with the devil, there can never be a happy ending. You have to face the hell you've created.

She shouldn't be surprised. After all, in Calliope's line of work, most end up on the wrong end of a blade eventually. Being a wanted assassin is not exactly a job with the guarantee of a happy life, but for a short while, she thought retiring could bring that for her, and she couldn't have been more wrong.

But, there are always other dangers to keep her mind off the impending doom heading her way. The current problem at hand came to Camelot last night as Merlin's mother brought news that her village is constantly under attack by a band of entitled assholes that collect far too many taxes than necessary.

And they are part of Cenred's kingdom, and that man only cares about making himself richer and more powerful. The every-day matters of his civilians don't concern him in the slightest.

Hunith's only option now is Uther, but Calliope doesn't expect him to offer any form of support.

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest..." Hunith trails off, surrounded by the entire royal court on the throne room. King Uther sits with his crown on his head while the prince stands beside him listening intently to Merlin's mother. "Our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help."

Calliope is focused on the large bruise around her right eye-- no doubt from this thug Kanen. Her blood boils at the thought of a man like him persecuting a helpless village for his own amusement. It brings back haunting memories of her own village being slaughtered.

Her hands ball into fists; her fingernails digging into her palm as she tries to keep the flashing moments at bay in her mind.

"Ealdor is in Cenred's kingdom," Uther finally says. "Your safety is his responsibility." That response is not surprising. Calliope thinks as she rolls her eyes.

Hunith nods, "We've appealed to our king, but he cares little for the outlying regions. You're our only hope."

The king takes a moment to ponder the problem laid out before him. His eyebrows pinch in thought before he inhales deeply.

"I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth."

"You'll help us?"