𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞

CHAPTER TWENTY
THE BEGINNING OF THE END ( iii. )

By morning, Merlin finally tells Gaius everything because shockingly, his remedy did not work

Calliope doesn't go with them to check on the boy, though. She's still lying in her bed, staring at the ceiling as her encounter with Sepharin replays in her mind over and over. Her hand falls to her heart, a small hint of fear in the back of her mind that the blood wraiths can basically make her drop dead anytime they want now.

With a little over a month left to figure out how to solve her problems, Calliope doesn't see a way out of this one. Not for her at least.

Finally, she decides to get out of bed and catch up with her friends. If Gaius was able to bring down the boy's fever, they need to come up with a plan to get him out of the city tonight.

Her eyes land on Merlin, who stands across the courtyard with Gwen and Morgana. She weaves her way through several guards and greets them.

"Hey, so what's the plan? Our window of opportunity is growing smaller and smaller here."

Gwen nods, "The guards are searching everyone leaving town."

Merlin glances over his shoulder, "There's another way out. There's a secret door in the armory; it leads to the low town."

"I love secret doors," Calliope says with glinting eyes. "I should be the one to take him."

"No, it's too dangerous. I'll do it," Morgana says.

"Well, Cal's good with secret doors and things," Merlin replies.

Morgana sighs lightly, "If she gets caught, Uther will execute her."

"Yeah, that dude hates my guts."

The brunette nods, "The boy is my responsibility. I'll smuggle him out of the castle."

"You'll need a key for the door."

Morgana furrows her eyebrows, "Who has it?"

"Arthur," Merlin says, pressing his lips in a firm line.

Calliope crosses her arms over her chest, looking at the young sorcerer with raised eyebrows, "Oh, is your plan to just go ask nicely?"

"I'll figure something out."

"No, I can get the key."

"Cal, do you even know which one it is? They all look the bloody same," Merlin replies. "I'll get the key. I can do it, I promise."

The blonde sighs with a small nod, "Fine, but don't screw it up."

Merlin pats her shoulder, "Thanks, Cal. I can always count on you for some encouraging words."

"I know. I'm your biggest supporter," she responds, nudging his side. "We'll be waiting in Morgana's chambers. Once we get the key, we can smuggle the boy out."