𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞-𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
THE ONCE AND FUTURE QUEEN ( ii. )

The spirits of everyone in the crowd are high the next day as the semifinal jousts occur

The spirits of everyone in the crowd are high the next day as the semifinal jousts occur. Sir Alynor advances to the final, riding with elegance and grace as he acknowledges the crowd. Arthur will face Sir Leon, and he will find out if the knight is truly better than him.

Calliope isn't sure who to cheer for as she watches them face each other. The flag dances in the wind before it hits the dirt and her eyes go back and forth from Arthur to Leon, standing on her toes to see everything unfold. The two race at one another, keeping their lances drawn in the perfect position. It's impossible to tell who has the advantage until Arthur jolts his lance forward with all his strength. It collides with Sir Leon's armor and sends the knight reeling backwards.

Everyone around the arena jumps up in celebration as William quicky becomes the fan favorite. Calliope feels her heart tug as she watches Arthur ride his victory lap, knowing how much this really means to him.

She goes back to the tent to greet Merlin and William.

"Congratulations," Calliope says, patting the farmer. "You're in the final."

Merlin grins widely as William nods his head in excitement. The prince enters the tent, tossing him his helmet, "Go on then. Your people await you."

With victory still fresh in his eyes, he points between Calliope and Merlin as Sir William greets his adoring fans, "No one can say Sir Leon let me win this time."

The sorcerer glances over his shoulder at the roaring crowd, "It seems the crowd has really taken to William."

"That will change when I reveal my identity."

Merlin's eyes squint as he looks at the prince, "You really miss getting all the attention, don't you?"

"That's what I said," Calliope adds as Arthur shakes his head.

"Just go and water the horse, will you?" An annoyed sigh heaves through Merlin's lips as he exits the tent.

As Arthur stays in the tent to take off his armor, Calliope heads back to Gwen's house for the night. When she arrives, she does her best to tidy the place up so that when Gwen returns, her house will not be in disarray. The blonde sweeps in the back where she has been sleeping, and she gathers the pile of dirty clothes in the corner to put back into her bag. Tonight is the last night they will be staying here, and then, things will go back to normal.

The thing she's dreading the most is having to go back and check on Lady Victoria every day and hear her constant boasting about wedding planning and how rich she is. Calliope really could get rid of her...No, that's the old Cal. The new Cal has more patience. Sort of.

She's so in thought about debating killing Lady Victoria, Calliope doesn't notice Arthur coming into the house. The broom falls from her hand when she hears him call her name, and she fumbles around to try and hide the fact that she's been sleeping with the grain and potatoes, but it's too late.