What the Hell Did I Do?

11:25 a.m.

I wake up to loud banging on the front door. I get up and walk to the door in bewilderment. My wig is crooked and my lashes are stuck to my eyelids. This shit better be important. As soon as I open the door Sammy rushes in.

"Where the hell you been Mia? Your dad went MIA on Olive." He looks upset.

"Shit. Where is she?"

I knew our dad would pull this shit but not this soon.

"I picked her up and she's at my house sleeping right now. She was really hurt. You need to come by the house and see her."

"Okay give me 15 minutes."

I went to the bathroom to wash up and brush my teeth. I fixed my wig and took my lashes off. I went back to my room and Sammy was sitting on my bed looking at the tv. The energy was awkwardly silent, probably because I didn't answer his question. I lotion up and put on black Nike Pros and a black sports bra. I grab a black PINK zip up but left it unzipped and put on cheetah print Ugg slides.

"You ready?" I asked Sammy.

He got up and turned the tv off. We walked out the house and got in his truck. The weather was perfect. He opened the sunroof and rolled the windows down and we were on our way to Olive. I looked out the window as my mind wandered back to last night. I don't even remember what all happened. But I know I had fun. I feel bad that I wasn't there for Olive, though. I'm gonna make it up to her, though.

"How was work yesterday?" I break the awkward silence.

"It was fine. Not the same without you, though. How was your "networking event"?" He gestured two fingers with his free hand as quotation marks.

Here we go.

"What's with the quotation marks? It really was a networking event. And it was a lot of fun, for your information. I met a lot of nice new people." I answer vaguely, giving him just enough.

"Well I'm glad you were out having fun while your sister was looking for you because her father left her."

"Give me a fucking break, Sammy! I really do not want to hear it right now. If we being honest, this is between me and Olive."

"It would be if she wasn't blowing MY phone up to come get her because you weren't answering your phone. Why weren't you answering your phone, Mia?"

"I left my phone in the car, damn!" I roll my eyes.

"Something could have happened to Olive, Mia. You need to be looking out for her."

"I do look out for her, Sammy. It's all I fucking do! I'm sorry that I wasn't there for her, I really am. But I go out for one night, thinking she was safe with her father. I don't bring my phone in to a work event and I'm the bad guy?"

He's silent for a moment.

"I'm sorry. I was just frustrated and worried about you. I shouldn't have blamed you for everything."

"It's okay." I quickly cool down, especially because what I've been doing is much worse than what he's done. Even though we aren't in a relationship, he did tell me he loved me last night and I don't want to hurt him. I know he wants me to be his girlfriend and my new job is probably the only thing holding him back from asking me to be.

There's just no way that I'm gonna say, "yeah last night after the work event I fucked two guys I just met at the same time and God knows what else right after we fucked that same night". Some things are better left unsaid. I turn up the music and we ride in silence the rest of the way to his crib.