//39 - a pinch of salt {REQUEST}

A.N: hello. back a little sooner than expected because i couldn't tear myself away from my writing. it's an escape for me, so it's been helping. anyway, this is a request for charlottesydx. it's shorter than i wanted it to be, but we move. hope you enjoy it :) also, to those who weren't sure, this is the penultimate chapter of this book. the final one will be posted at some point tomorrow.

Prompt: Cal is trying to bake, but Harry is bored, and wants attention.

[1180 words approx.]

//

Cal POV

Today is my day off. So, like any sane person, I'm relaxing. Or trying to at least.

Everything was going well enough, until Harry decided he'd come along, and watch me. Because he soon got bored of just watching me.

I don't blame him for getting bored to be honest. There's not much interesting about sitting and watching me stir cake batter. But if he could manage to be a little less annoying, that'd be fucking amazing.

"Cal," Harry whines, swinging his legs as he sits on the counter beside me. I sigh, and look up at him.

"What Harry?" I respond, despite knowing exactly what he's about to say.

"I'm bored," he complains, picking up an egg and throwing it a short distance into the air, before catching it again. The sight gives me anxiety, already knowing it's going to end badly.

"Harry, put that down," I scold him, but he ignores me, continuing to play catch with the egg. "Fine, carry on doing it then. But you'll be cleaning it up if you drop it," I huff.

He has the audacity to roll his eyes at me. "It's fine, I'm not gonna drop it," he says.

"Babe, come on. You're stressing me out," I tell him, and he pouts. Thankfully though, he puts the egg down. I give him a sympathetic glance. "Do you want me to give you something to do?" I ask.

"Yeah, please," Harry says.

"Can you put some more flour in for me?" I request, and he smiles at me. But not in a way that I like the look of. I push that thought to the side as he picks up the bag, and reaches his hand inside. He then proceeds to throw a handful of flour at me.

"Ha! Take that bitch!" He laughs, and I scowl at him.

"You're such a dickhead," I growl, dusting the white powder from my shirt. He just smirks at me evilly. "No, seriously Haz. I know you're bored, but don't be an arse."

"Fine, fine," he sighs, raising his hands in surrender.

"Thank you," I huff, going back to tending to the cake batter. Thankfully he stays quiet for a bit, just watching me. I can't help but feel relieved. I turn away for a minute to go and fetch a glass of water, and when I come back, he's sucking his finger and looking at me sheepishly.

"Harry," I say, looking at him sternly. He hums in response. "Did you eat some batter?"

"No," he mumbles, still not taking his finger from his mouth. I shake my head at him.

"You're such a child," I say, trying to keep the fondness from my voice.

"Am not," he says defiantly, taking his finger from his mouth, and then sticking it in my ear. I flinch away from the sudden, unpleasant feeling, and he laughs at me.

"Oh, so you're gonna say you're not childish, and then give me a wet willy? Real mature babe," I scoff, and he grins, seeming to be getting a kick out of annoying me. I ignore him, and go back to what I was doing. He watches intently as I shake some baking powder into my hand, and throw it into the bowl.

"Hey Cal," Harry says. I glare at him, and don't reply. I see him smirk out of the corner of my eye.

"Cal. Hey, Cal. Hey, Cal. Callum. Cal. Cal. Babe. Hey Cal-"

"Fucking what!" I shout, looking over at him, and feeling absolutely furious.

"I'm bored," he says with a wicked grin. I growl at him, and turn back to the food.

"Hey Cal. Cal-"

"Harry, I love you, but can you please shut the fuck up," I say through gritted teeth, while angrily stirring the batter again.

"But I'm bored," Harry pouts. I sigh gently.

"I know baby, but surely you can find something better to do than annoy me," I respond, trying to be as patient with him as possible.

"But I want to spend time with you," he says, frowning at me.

"Okay, then we'll do that. Let me finish this first though," I say, leaning over to kiss his cheek. As I do that, I see him dip his finger back into the bowl.

"Harry, come on!" I say exasperatedly, as he licks the batter off his finger. He gives me a cheeky smirk, and that just about makes me lose it.

"It tastes nice," he says, and is about to dip his finger in again, but I grab his wrist.

"Oh no you don't," I say, grabbing him by the thighs and picking him up off the counter. He squeaks in surprise, and quickly holding onto my shoulders to stop himself from falling. "I'm just about done with this."

"What're you doing?" He asks, seeming confused as I put him down in the corner of the room.

"Now, you're gonna stay there for five minutes, until you can stop being so childish," I tell him sternly, and his jaw drops.

"Are you fucking joking?" He says, seeming outraged. "You're trying to put me in a time out? I'm twenty-three!"

"Make that ten minutes," I say, raising an eyebrow. He opens his mouth, but then closes it again, deciding against arguing back.

"Okay," he says, looking down at his feet.

"Good."

I go back to the counter, and let out a breath. I look over my shoulder at Harry, and he is stood in the corner still, shuffling his feet quietly. Allowing myself to relax a bit, I continue making the cake.

After a short while, the cake is in the oven, and I'm washing up. I feel a pair of arms wrap cautiously around my waist from behind, and a face press into my back.

"It's been ten minutes," Harry mumbles. I dry my hands and turn around to face him.

"You ready to behave?" I ask, and he hangs his head, seeming a little humiliated.

"Yeah. I'm sorry," he says softly, before looking up at me with innocent eyes. His hands shift anxiously, and I can tell he's fighting that nervous tick he gets to scratch his shoulder.

"It's alright," I say, wrapping my arms around him, and resting my chin on top of his head. He hugs back tentatively, pressing himself against me, and burying his face in my chest. We stay like that for a minute, and then I try to unlatch myself from him. But he's having none of it.

"Baby, I need to finish the washing up. We can cuddle after if you like," I say, trying to pry myself from his grip.

"'M sorry Cal," he mumbles again. I lift a hand to stroke his hair gently.

"I know babe, it's fine. I just need you to let go so I can finish washing up," I coax, and he looks up at me.

"Love you," he murmurs, before nudging my chest gently with his forehead.

"I love you too Harry," I assure him, pressing a kiss to the top of his head.

//