Grace's Childhood

I thought it might be fun to write about Grace's life before she met Taylor, so this is a bunch of drabbles about her as a child and teenager. (Michael's in this too, so you can finally 'meet' him).

Trigger warning: Mental health/Suicide

-

6 Years Old

"Gracie," a soft voice called from next to her bed, gently touching her shoulder as she opened her eyes, "It's time to wake up."

Although you probably expected one of Grace's parents to be the one standing next to her, it was her most current nanny. A tall woman who had black hair and dark eyes, pale skin and wore a sundress down to her calves.

"Good morning, Miss April," Grace said, her dainty little English accent coming through strongly as she removed the duvet from over her body and slipped into her night shoes.

"Good morning, Miss Grace. I'm going to wake your brothers now, your uniform is set out for you. I shall expect you downstairs for breakfast in fifteen minutes."

Grace nodded, earning a scold.

"Use your words, dear."

"Yes, Miss April, my apologies."

With a smile, the woman turned and exited the room. She shut the door softly behind her, and gosh, did Grace hate her. She much preferred Miss Priscilla, whom got fired for sneaking the children chocolates.

Another Friday, the same routine. Breakfast, school and then she and her brothers were whisked off in nice clothes to attend whatever event their father was hosting or attending that night. It was the same thing, every week.

Her parents were not very paternal, Robert was gone long before the kids were awoken and back long after they were asleep. Jennifer had nannies to look after them, simply because she had better things to do.

On the rare occasion, Grace's mother would join them for breakfast. Not that day, as Grace could see her mother outside tending to the garden, the warm September air still lingering enough that another harvest was in need.

"Good morning," William and Michael said to their sister as she joined them in the breakfast nook, an assortment of fruits and baked goods spread out precisely where they were every morning.

"Good morning," she answered, waiting for their butler, Mathers, to pull her chair out.

A lady shall never pull out her own chair.

Breakfast was silent, the children knowing it was easier not to talk than to listen to the help discipline them on proper grammar and manners.

At school, Grace was given the same reminder she was given daily, regardless of which nanny dropped them off.

"Be nice to Charles and Riley, their fathers are excellent businessmen and their sons will be the same, good suitors in the future."

Grace didn't want Charles or Riley to be her 'suitors'.

"Yes, Miss April, I understand."

The teachers all watched this routine, they were well aware of the Kent family name and knew not to get involved in what seemed to be grinding the life out of the three children.

"In addition," the nanny began, "Michael, a similar thought to Cassandra and Delilah, hmm? Pretty girls like them would make a good wife."

"Yes, Miss April, I understand," the boy answered, almost jumping to get away and into the school yard.

School was a little escape. A break from the rehearsed responses, the curtsies and bows, the expensive dresses and suits. The twins knew very well they should enjoy it before their parents caught wind of their childhood joy.