The Gift That Keeps Giving

This chapter is mainly the time the family has together before the big confrontation. It will have a bunch of 'fluff' (feel-good or happy stuff), but I think that is what would happen in reality if something big like the Queen was drawing near; people would want to spend time with their loved ones. 

Well, enjoy!

-NFD

~~~

"Wait here," Moon whispered, "I'll bring Auroon out. Astra, Star, go distract Anari and the kids. I'm sure Auroon would love to have some alone time with his mate. Remember, Stormfly, this was all your idea!" 

I watched them leave, standing just outside the den entrance, and occupying myself with cleaning a forepaw that had a bit of dirt on it. The downside of white scales, they get dirty so easily...

I made sure that I was going to keep myself at least mostly clean from now on—even more so for tonight, since it was Auroon's hatch-day. I liked feeling attractive, and I hoped Auroon thought I was as well. I worried that he would prefer the slightly darker color of my dirty scales, or maybe that he would like a more 'rugged' and dirty female than a pretty and clean one. I tried to tell myself that such thoughts were stupid, but the worries didn't go away. What if he did prefer the old me? What if-

"-going on? Mom, you're acting strange. Is this about my hatch-day? You don't need to do anything for me!"

"I'm not," Moon purred, "I'm just passing you off to someone else!"

"I don't want to be 'passed on!'" Auroon groaned, exasperated. He finally stepped out of the entrance, Moon pushing him out, his hide beginning to glow from the moon above. "I just want to find St-" His jaw dropped, eyes widening when his gaze landed on me. "U-Uh...?" He squeaked.

Moon winked at me, already turning back into the den. "Welp, good job, son! You found her!"

Moon walked out of sight, leaving the two of us alone outside the den. I forced a smile, my previous worries about if he liked how I looked resurfacing in my head. He didn't seem able to talk, stunned into silence as he looked upon me. Whether it was a good or bad kind of speechless, I wasn't certain.

"Hello, my mate," I hummed nervously. He stood frozen, his eyes darting all over my body. "Do you... Do you like your gift?" He started to drool, saying nothing, then, after a minute, slowly tipped forward and faceplanted. I had no idea how to react to that, so I just stood awkwardly while he laid there.

He blinked once and I flinched as his magic assaulted my mind. I didn't resist, feeling him searching every thought before quickly pulling back. He scrambled to his unsteady paws, breathing heavily. "N-No way..." He whispered, shakily stepping toward me. "You're... real...?" Of course he would check that first. This would probably be a smart way to trick him, wouldn't it?

I could clearly hear Auroon's heart beating very loudly. I smiled. I think he likes it! "Yes, I'm real," I replied quietly. I stayed still while he stumbled slowly around my body, feeling his nose touch my hide occasionally. I resisted a purr when I smelled his heavy scent in the air.

I turned my head to look at him, seeing he was behind me now, his jaw hanging loosely. Aaaand yep, he's drooling, a lot. It seemed to take a ton of effort to start moving again, his eyes locked onto my backside until he couldn't see it anymore. It seems like Mom did a good job, even if it was embarrassing...

"Um..." He mumbled, just now reaching my front again. I watched in amusement as he paused before continuing onward, starting to circle me again. "Y-You... eh?"