CHAPTER 45 - part1 - BACK ON TRACK

Začať od začiatku

"Not yet." Arvind replied worriedly. 

"You don't worry, I'll break the news gently tomorrow." Mohan assured. "She would catch it easily during the video call even if we try to hide the truth." 

"Hmm." Arvind agreed and lapsed into silence.  

Mohan closed his eyes with a sigh and soon fell asleep. Arvind sat on the chair, drinking in the sight of his son, reacquainting himself after years to his close proximity. At some point of time, his eyelids also began getting heavy and he too surrendered to sleep. 

He was woken up by the sound of knocks on the door. His watch showed seven am. Getting up as fast as his age permitted, he opened the door. A nurse walked in, checked the case sheet and handed over a couple of tablets to be given to Mohan when he woke up. As soon as she left, a small voice startled him: 

"Who are you?" The little girl, Nanhi, has woken up and was staring at him, looking scared.  

As he stood there, trying to formulate a reply, her gaze fell on Mohan and she gasped. 

"What happened to Green Uncle?" She crawled out from a sleeping Megha's arms and approached Mohan's bed, eyes tearing up gradually. 

"Nothing, my dear. He just fell down the stairs last night. We brought him to hospital so that the doctors can make him better." Arvind was not at all used to talking to little children and he felt silly, hearing his gruff, authoritative voice uttering endearments and baby-talk.  

The child approached Mohan and touched the bandage on his left arm gingerly.  

"He'll wake up, won't he?" She asked, fear evident in her tone. 

"Of course, he will." Arvind was shocked by the girl's genuine affection.  

"Let me show you." He said and gently shook Mohan awake.  

Opening his tired eyes with a disgruntled sound, Mohan looked blankly at him for a moment. Before he could comprehend anything, Nanhi climbed up the bed with a cry of "Green Uncle!" and hugged him tightly. He let out an involuntary wince of pain, but it was overshadowed by the joy in his face. With his good arm, he hugged her back just as tightly.  

Arvind approached the pair with tablets and water. 

"Here. Have these." 

Mohan broke the hug and obediently took the tablets and gulped them down with water.  

"Who are you?" Nanhi repeated, now sounding just inquisitive, safely cocooned in her Green Uncle's arm. 

"I'm his Papa." Arvind said with a slight smile. 

"Oh!" Nanhi replied. She looked intimidated by him and he had no idea how to make her feel comfortable. 

"What's the time?" Mohan asked, breaking his thoughts. 

"Seven." Arvind replied. It felt strange to be in talking terms with Mohan again after years of indifference. 

"Seven?" Mohan straightened immediately. With a slight groan, he got up.  

"Easy." Arvind immediately rushed to his side and caught his uninjured arm.  

Mohan took a couple of steps with his assistance and then, gaining confidence, walked to and fro on his own. Initially, there was a slight limp on his left leg, but as he continued walking, it straightened. Arvind sighed.  

He no longer needs my support or guidance: He has grown strong enough to stand on his own two legs. And I failed to realise it all these years, not trusting the road he has taken.  

As he watched, Mohan walked over to Megha. He stood in front of her cot stationary for a moment and then, stooped down and began shaking her awake gently. 

"Let her sleep a bit more." Arvind moved forward and suggested.  

By then, Megha had woken up. She sat up bolt upright on seeing Mohan. 

"Do you need something Mohan? How are you feeling? Does it hurt anywhere?" She hurled queries one after the other, just like Indu would do when she got tensed. 

"I'm perfectly fine, Megha. And Papa is here, Guru will be back any minute. You need not worry." Mohan assured, gripping her shoulders.  

Papa! 

It has been ages since he had addressed him so. It had been just formal conversations between them for years, that too with Indu prompting everything. Arvind felt overwhelmed for a moment and sat down on Mohan's unmade bed near Nanhi. The child didn't shrink away; on the contrary, she approached him on her knees. 

"Chachi will take care of Green Uncle just like she did last time and he'll be good soon. Don't worry." She whispered and sat down leaning on his arms, watching the oblivious couple with interest. Arvind smiled down at her angelic face and then, joined her in watching the other two. 

"Today is the first day of the semester, remember?" Mohan was telling her. 

"Oh, no! I'm in charge of S2 students." Megha exclaimed. 

"And you need to be present early." Mohan completed the sentence. Megha nodded in reply. 

"That's why I woke you up, Megha. It's just seven. You can still make it if you leave now." Mohan said.  

"But-" 

"No buts. You are leaving with Nanhi right now." Mohan pulled her up with his good hand and she got up reluctantly. 

After making both Mohan and himself promise that they would call her if any need arised, she left with Nanhi. 

Mohan walked back and collapsed on his bed as soon as they left. 

"Are you okay?" Arvind asked, alarmed by his action. 

"Hungry." Mohan replied with eyes closed. 

Arvind couldn't help letting out a relaxed chuckle. With that, he set off in search of canteen, to feed his hungry son. 

*********************************