CHAPTER 14 - part 2 - BIRTHDAY BREAKFAST

Mohan reached Megha's home at the time for breakfast as instructed by Mahi. Mahi and Nanhi welcomed him at the door and lead him to meet the birthday girl. The few guests apart from him seemed to be Megha's colleagues and they ogled at him and the paper cover in his hands, probably wondering why a gardener has been invited. Megha stood talking to them, who were departing and didn't notice him at first. When she finally bid them farewell and turned to face him, he was stunned.

She looked breathtakingly beautiful in the salwar which complemented her figure and complexion. Her hair was let loose, apparently still wet, but styled away from her face with a few hairpins. She was wearing a simple chain and matching danglers on her ears. The dash of kajal on her eyes and the bindi on her forhead completed the look.

A broad, knowing smile lighted up her entire face when she noticed him at last.

"Finally, the misunderstanding is cleared, I hope." Mohan thought and felt relieved. He really did miss her earnest smiles, that made her eyes twinkle alongside. She came near him and asked teasingly:

"Won't you wish me, Mohan?"

"What?!" Mohan broke out of his reverie and hastily replied:

"Of course! Many many happy returns of the day!" He extended the paper cover in his hands towards her.

"Oh, you brought gift for me." She exclaimed, apparently unable to hide the happiness.

"Is it Nishagandhi?" She asked as she took the plant out and observed it carefully.

"Be careful, the leaves have tiny thorn-like regions!" Mohan warned.

"I know, we had it in our home back in Kerala. It's really unpredictable when they would bear buds and when they would bloom. Even our neighbours used to come to our home during those nights." Megha reminisced.

"How many times did it bloom?" Mohan enquired eagerly.

"Only a handful number of times. During my post graduation time, when Ma and Papa had to come here, it withered away. Even cactus species plants can't escape the summer heat if left unattended for more than a week. Thanks for getting this for me." She thanked him with a smile.

Mohan felt happy that he had chosen the right gift. Before he could reply, Mrs Vyas ushered him off to the dining room to have breakfast.

All the other guests had left and it was just the Vyas family and himself. He was supposed to be awkward among them - being a gardener and all that - and he tried his best to look so. But soon, he fell at ease with the family -  the fussy Mrs. Vyas, wise Mr. Vyas, fun and friendly Mahi, adorable Nanhi and the beautiful birthday girl soon wound him down and he found himself enjoying their company.

                                                  ************************

Eventhough all other guests except Mohan had their breakfast and left, Nanhi and especially Mahi were enough to create an equal racket.

As they settled down around the dining table for breakfast, Megha observed that Nanhi sat with Mahi, instead of planting herself near her Green Uncle like she always did.

"There is some planning going on between Mahi and Nanhi. I wonder whether they have any more surprises for me."  She thought as she settled down near Mohan.

"Now that your scholarly, uptight guests have gone, we can start the real celebration." Mahi told Megha.

"Hey! They are not that bad." Megha defended weakly. But the defence sounded feeble even in her own ears.