CHAPTER 26 - part1 - AN UNEXPECTED DESTINATION

CHAPTER 50 AN UNEXPECTED DESTINATION

Mohan didn't have to wait till Monday to have the conversation with Megha; she called him on Sunday to talk about something not unlike the topic which he had on his mind.

She briefed him on her student's unfortunate tryst with drugs and about her desire to escape the addiction.

"I tried to contact her sister and father, but their phones were busy, so I called her local guardian, her sister's fiance's father," Megha said, "I didn't tell him the entire truth, just that Shilpa would like to stay away from the campus for a few days and he readily agreed to let her stay till she likes. I'll be driving her to his home in half an hour."

"That quick? Well, I guess this Shilpa must be really afraid of being tempted again and desperately wanting to escape it all. Thanks for sharing the news Megha." Mohan replied.

How hard he had tried to obtain some inside information! And now, the news found him in a most unexpected manner... May be he should make use of this opportunity...

"Megha," he began tentatively, "would you mind if I talk a bit to Shilpa before she goes off to her guardian's home?"

Megha suddenly went silent. Mohan took the hint and hastily began giving the clarification:

"I'm not forcing you or anything, just tell her that I would like to talk to her. She has the complete freedom to reject or accept," he said, "I don't intend to distress her further, but there is a chance that she may not speak freely once she goes off."

"Okay, I'll tell her." Megha replied uncertainly.

"And please request her on your behalf to accept. Tell her to help me catch the ones behind." Mohan didn't feel any shame in making the request; it was all for a good cause and the person was Megha, the one who could read the truth in his voice better than even himself.

"Of course, I will, Mohan." she replied. Mohan could imagine the slight smile and her trademark eyeroll and couldn't help smiling himself.

"I'll call you back after talking to Shilpa. Bye."

After five tense minutes, his phone rang.

"Hello Megha, what did she say?" Mohan took the call instantly and asked.

"She is ready to meet you and tell everything she knows if you promise to keep her anonymous." Megha replied.

"Great! Sure, I will." Mohan replied enthusiastically.

"Then meet us in the beach-side restaurant. We'll start in five minutes. See you." Megha hung up.

Stuffing his ID card (which he thought he might need to convince the girl) down his pants pocket, he exited the quarters and soon, the front gate. He hailed an auto and headed for the beach-side restaurant, the same one where he had lunch last week. If the girl is willing to share the names of others, then one of the most difficult tasks in his mission will be over, that too without making plans with Guru and seeking Megha's help. It was as if God was as reluctant as himself in letting Megha do anything potentially dangerous!

He reached the place within half an hour and found Megha and a girl sitting at a table in the relatively less crowded part of the restaurant.

It seems like she has got some detective instincts in her as well. Or else, why would she choose such a place visited by rich tourists rather than the students? And here also, she has chosen an isolated sitting. Mohan, you can't deny any more that she'll be your perfect partner in crime.

Mohan thought with amusement as he approached the pair.

                                                            ************************