PHASE III CHAPTER 19 - part 1 AIMING HIGH

PHASE III

CHAPTER 39 AIMING HIGH

Megha's mind settled down to utter calm after all the excitement during the day, like how the surface of a lake become still once the ripples subside. It was evening and she was sitting on the park bench, contently watching Nanhi play with Mohan on the lawn. 

She had phoned Prerna as soon as she came back to the quarters, made her promise not to speak a word to another living soul and then, poured out her discovery. Prerna believed her instantly and said that she had felt all along that Mohan couldn't be a terrorist or something. As Prerna started speculating his real identity, Megha firmly told her to stop it there: since it had become obvious that he's harmless, they wouldn't speak about his profession again and cause any danger to him or themselves inadvertently. 

Even though she had told that to Prerna, possibilities flew in and out of her mind. Finally, her mind arrived at the idea of him being a police officer sent for a secret mission. His keen, intelligent eyes, and smooth, fluent, authoritative talking supported her theory. 

As she sat there, observing him playing with Nanhi, doubts again flooded her mind. He may be intelligent and authoritative, but she couldn't imagine him as a police officer, wielding pistol and fighting criminals. His mannerisms reflected excellent schooling but were never the disciplined ones that you expect a police officer to have. His personality never held any harshness or strictness; he was rather a spontaneous, witty and kind person. 

She sighed heavily and stopped trying to deduce his profession - whatever it is, she has realised that it is for the good of people; she will come to know about it somehow when it is time for her to know. Having put her thoughts to peace, she resumed observing the two, playing without any bother. 

Mohan's hair was right now littered with green leaves of various sizes. Nanhi had ordered him not to shake them away till her play finished: according to her, he was the King and the leaves were his crown. He obeyed her commands and played along excellently. Once she finished decorating his hair, Nanhi led him to the bench on which Megha was sitting.

"Will you get up from there, chachi? This is our King's thr-thr.." she stuttered.

"Throne. This is my throne." Mohan completed the sentence with authority and stood solemnly in front of her, trying to look as regal as possible in his current outfit.

"But Miss Megha, you can sit on one end if you become my Minister." He offered kindly in a high-and-mighty tone.

Megha swallowed the laughter bubbling inside her. Deciding to play along, she got up and bowed before him:

"How kind of you, Your Majesty. I'm honored." she said.

"Who is your majesty, chachi?" asked a confused Nanhi.

Megha knelt in front of Nanhi and explained solemnly:

"That's how you should call the King, my dear." she explained.

"Oh, ok. Your Majesty, let me pick more leaves and make you a necklace. Till then you and your Minister can discuss how to rule this kingdom." Nanhi suggested happily.

"As you like it, my Princess." Mohan said as he sat down on the bench. Megha too sat down next to him.

"Ok, I'll be back in a minute." Nanhi bowed in front of Mohan just like Megha did earlier and delightedly scampered off to the nearest bush to pick leaves.