CHAPTER 26 - part2- THE UNPLEASANT MEETING

CHAPTER 51 UNPLEASANT MEETINGS

Mohan murmured a thank you to Shilpa for introducing him in a good light without having to explain his true identity. But he was sure he won't be that lucky during the entire meeting: the homely lady will surely ask about his job as soon as they seat themselves in one of the plush sofas inside the spacious living room.

If the secrecy is meant to be broken now, it will happen. There's no use worrying about it. The purpose of this disguise is almost fulfilled anyway.

Mohan thought and prepared himself for the inevitable inquisition by Mrs Rakesh. Right now, she didn't seem to have any eyes on him and not even on Shilpa: her sole interest was on Megha whose smile was becoming more and more forced with each second.

How is Megha acquainted to her, I wonder. However it is, Megha does not look even remotely thrilled to have met her.

Mohan observed as he followed the three women into the living room. It was just as luxurious as he had estimated with plush couches and sturdy side tables. The walls boasted of the achievements of the men in the family and the interior, the mistress's taste in design.

"Please take a seat, all of you. My husband will be here in a few minutes." Mrs. Rakesh said.

Shilpa sank into one of the couches immediately, probably seeking the feeling of homely protection after leaving the campus and the dangers associated with her life there. Mohan followed the suit and took that day's The Morning Wave from the table as an excuse to escape the conversation of the ladies for as much time as possible. Megha was still standing, looking at the couch gloomily.

"I'm sorry Shobha Aunty, but I need to be back soon. Nanhi will be waiting for me." She said.

"You left her in someone's care, didn't you?" Mrs. Shobha Kumar enquired.

"Yes, with my colleague," Megha said, "but-"

"No buts Megha. I'm going to make us all some tea and you are helping me. Come." She caught Megha's hand authoritatively and led her away before anyone could respond. Mohan watched the whole thing with puzzlement.

"Do you know how Megha is associated with your Guardians?" Mohan couldn't contain his curiosity and asked Shilpa.

"I'm wondering the same thing, Bhayya." She replied, but didn't sound much intrigued by the fact.

Before his mind could come up with some possible answers, a man's voice interrupted his thoughts.

"How many times have I told you not to leave the front doors open at night, Shobha?," the volume kept increasing with the sound of approaching footsteps. Soon, a tall, regal looking elderly man entered the living room. Even though his fluffy white hair tried to reveal his age, the tracksuits he wore hindered the effect.

"You never-" he stopped abruptly on noticing Shilpa and Mohan. Both of them rose from their seat in a gesture to show respect.

"There were guests inside as you might've noticed by now. Sit down, I'll bring tea now." Mrs Rakesh's sound echoed in from the kitchen.

"You are Rashmi's sister, aren't you?" He asked after scrutinising them for a few seconds, not too unkindly.

"Yes, and this is Mohan Bhayya, my family friend. He accompanied me to ensure my safe arrival here." Shilpa explained for the second time that night.

"But your class in charge was going to drop you here. Where's she?" Confusion marred his face as he gestured them to sit.

"She's inside with Shobha Aunty." Shilpa replied again.