CHAPTER 13 - part 1 - PILLOW FIGHTS AND PHONE CALLS

PILLOW FIGHTS AND PHONE CALLS

As Mohan closed the door with a loud thud, Guru admonished from his bed:

"Stop that. I'm trying to remember where I had seen him."

Guru claimed he had seen the second man in the video when Mohan showed it to him the previous night. But, he had no luck, so far, in identifying him. And obviously, they couldn't ask any of their colleagues.

"What is that?" Guru enquired as Mohan placed the cover from the textiles on their table and sat down on the chair.

"This? A salwar." He said offhandedly.

"What?!"

Guru's exclamation needed fifteen minutes of detailed explanation.

"You promised you won't get cozy with that family, didn't you?" Guru began.

"How can I say no to someone as sweet as Nanhi?" Mohan countered.

"So, it's just Nanhi. Then it's ok. Make sure you don't fall in that lecturer's clutches. I heard that she was very nasty with her would-be-fiancé and that's why her engagement broke." Guru spoke in a high-and-mighty tone.

"How can you speak of her like that, Guru?" Mohan looked at him disbelievingly.

"I don't take your word in this matter, I'm sorry Guru. I admit she's a bit hot tempered at times, and there may be other petty things like that. After all she is a human being like all of us and hence, is not perfect.  But I tell you, Megha is the most genuine, loyal, sensible, compassionate and beautiful girl I've ever met. And I won't stop being her friend unless she decides it first." He declared in one breath.

Both of them sat there, staring at each other, silently daring the other to speak. Then to Mohan's utter bewilderment, Guru broke into a laugh.

"I knew it! When are you going to introduce me to your Miss Perfect, Bhayya?" Guru asked and ducking the pillow that was aimed at his head, ran out of the room.

                              **********************

For Megha, the entire day proved to be as disappointing as its beginning was. She shut herself in the room as soon as she reached her quarters, ignoring the sympathetic looks of Mahi and Nanhi: they might've guessed she had gone back for the salwar, but returned unsuccessfully. She wanted an outlet: and hence, she dialed Prerna.

After listening to Prerna's bubbly chatter for a while, Megha felt herself relax. An involuntary smile graced her lips as she let her friend's happy voice soothe her sadness.

"Guess what happened when I went shopping." She said as Prerna ceased her incessant chattering to draw breath.

"Let me guess... you fell in love with a thing you couldn't buy."

Megha chuckled fondly, wondering how her friend found her easy to read even now.

"Well, sort of."

"Tell me the entire story." She ordered. And Megha conceded.

"Are you sad because the dress was bought or because it was bought by Mohan for someone else?" Prerna asked after hearing the whole story.

"A little bit of both reasons, I guess." Megha acknowledged to Prerna and herself.

"Megha..." Prerna trailed off, possibly wondering how to interpret this confession.

"I'm happy that Mohan has someone in his life. He's a nice guy, Prerna and deserves all the happiness in the world. But, on seeing the affection in his eyes for this unknown girl, I felt bad." Megha admitted in a small voice.

"Are you feeling jealous, Megha?" Prerna asked with her voice full of wonder.

"How will I not be? Everyone around me seems to be all paired up and basking in love- that Ruchi, Shyamu uncle's daughter, you and now Mohan." Megha retorted furiously.

Prerna was silent for a moment and Megha felt terrible for shouting at her friend: what had Prerna done to her? Why on earth did she shout at her?

"Sorry, Prerna! I didn't mean..." she apologized.

"It's ok Megha. I know you didn't mean to be cross with me just because I'm engaged. But don't stop now; let it out my dear..." Prerna urged.

Megha was relived. She continued:

"You know, when Rajeev came to my life, even though I was reluctant to accept him, a part of myself thought that maybe this is him: the special person in my life, the one who would love me beyond everyone else, the one who would care for me till our death, the one with I would make a family and grow old together. And you have seen how all that dreams collapsed like a castle of cards in the breeze."

"You loved him?" Prerna asked seriously.

"What? No! I just thought that maybe, I could fall for him gradually, that's all." Megha exclaimed.

"Phew! Thank God! Megha, maybe you were in love with the idea of being in love." Prerna suggested.

"Maybe... Hey, so that's the reason why I felt jealous! I'm not jealous of this unknown girl of Mohan, but of the perfect relationship they seem to be having."

"It seems so, dear. Just try to forget the Rajeev episode in your life dear, and move on. Keep faith in God and your loved ones. One day, you'll definitely find your special one." Prerna advised.

"You think so?" Megha asked childishly.

"Of course dear! If anyone deserves happiness, then it's you, my friend!" Prerna replied affectionately.

Megha felt all the tension leaving her. A smile lit up her face as her optimistic attitude was restored.

"Thank you Prerna." Her words resounded with gratefulness.

"And don't lose hope. Life may return you what you think you have lost forever." Prerna concluded.

                  ********************************