CHAPTER 41 - part1 - END OF THE LONG WAIT

CHAPTER 68 END OF THE LONG WAIT  

It would be an understatement if it is said that Guru was excited to see Mohan: he was practically bouncing on his feet as Mohan wearily entered the quarters. Guru wanted to ask him many things, but he was already late for his duty and had to leave soon. And Mohan too fell onto his bed, instructing him not to disturb him. As soon as his duty finished by evening, Guru rushed to the quarters with a few nicked special snacks. He found Mohan pacing back and forth anxiously when he entered their room.  

"Guru, it's tonight." Mohan declared heavily as Guru settled down. 

"What, Bhayya?" Guru was puzzled. 

"The gang's outside party. I received a message just hours ago telling me to be at the beach by six o'clock and that they'll pick me from there to the venue; where it is actually, they wouldn't say."  

"What is your plan?" 

Mohan paused and pointed at his bed on which a jacket and a box of shoes were kept. As Guru racked his brains wondering what good would dressing nicely achieve, Mohan replied: 

"They are not ordinary, Guru. I got them custom made while at Delhi. Can you count the number of buttons on it?" Mohan asked, pointing at the jacket. 

"This seems to be embellished with buttons!" Guru exclaimed as he noticed a diagonal line of them across each upper pocket on either side and also on the shoulders.  

"When I pull down this zip," Mohan demonstrated pulling down the zip of the lower pockets, "another pair of buttons appear. And these are not mere buttons, but cameras that can record for three hours." 

"But what if they check, Bhayya?" Guru asked worriedly as he took the jacket from Mohan and viewed from different angles. 

"They would seize mobile and check for other bugs at the entrance, Guru. But they can't detect these hidden ones even if they use device detectors as I would activate them only after getting inside."  

"Ingenious!" Guru breathed. 

"And the shoes have a tiny GPS-like tracer on them which would get activated when I tie the laces tight enough. It's monitoring can be done with your mobile once you let me configure it a bit, Guru. Thus, you can keep a track of my movements and intervene if you detect some trouble, which won't happen most probably." 

Guru swallowed as he realised what would be happening in a few hours; Mohan would be away at an illegal party and he would be here, trying to ascertain everything is fine by tracing him.  

"Do you think Alex Sir knows about it?" Guru asked. 

"He might be. But don't you go calling him in unless things go out of control, okay?" Mohan said. 

"Yes, fine." Guru replied, trying to sound brave. But he felt his heart beat increasing considerably. 

Apparently understanding his situation, Mohan placed a comforting hand on his shoulders. 

"All I need to do is to get in, switch on the devices, roam around a bit near important people, ask the right questions to my so-called buddys, switch off the devices and then, step out. I'm sure everything will go smooth. You won't even have to leave this room." Mohan reassured. 

"I hope so, Bhayya." Guru replied as he tried to calm his mind. 

***********************  

It was quarter to six and Mohan found himself at the beach, waiting anxiously. He walked away from the park area to the white sands and sat down on a clean strip of land, facing the vast pale blue sea. The sea was rather calm with small, humble waves that sought to play with the shore. Mohan stared at them unseeingly as he tried to calm the waves of anxiety troubling his mind. This was his first mission of this high scale of danger, but he felt deep down that he would succeed. Hadn't he fooled them successfully this long?  

Just then, he heard a familiar sound: 

"Green Uncle!" 

Mohan got up instantly and turned around. No, he was not mistaken; Nanhi was running towards him in full speed with Megha behind her. 

"Nanhi!" Mohan exclaimed as she hurled herself into his arms.  

Megha too soon came into focus. Their last night's conversation drifted to his mind.  

I'm sure she wouldn't jump straight into my arms shouting yes; No, that wouldn't be the Megha I know. She would want time to think over. I wonder what is going through her mind right now. 

Mohan watched her interestedly, wondering how she would greet him. She looked unsettled on meeting him so unexpectedly, but quickly regained her composure and even held the gaze and talked as usual.  

"I know you must be surprised seeing her up and going so soon. But as soon as she realised she would've to go to school from tomorrow, she began pestering me to take her out. And here we are." Megha said with a smile. 

Mohan, what are you doing, having a chit-chat with Megha when those people would come to pick you up any time? What if they spot these two and God forbid, your nightmare come true somehow? 

Despite being worried, Mohan put on a smile for Nanhi's sake. He put her down and handed her over the shell he just found among the sands. As she began examining it in fascination, he hissed at Megha: 

"You have to leave now, Megha. It is not safe." 

"Let us see the sunset, Mohan. Then we'll be off. I have my car, don't worry." Megha tried to reassure him and looked a bit irritated, probably by his lack of belief in her ability to look after Nanhi and herself. 

"You don't understand. They are meeting me in a few minutes here and I don't want you and Nanhi to be spotted along with me. Got it?" Mohan demanded urgently. 

Megha's eyes widened as realisation of who he was talking about dawned. She nodded immediately and quickly convinced Nanhi to have ice cream. She looked back at him concernedly as she walked back after the quick farewell. 

Will you be all right? Her eyes seemed to ask. 

Mohan closed his eyes and nodded his head in an affirmative gesture. With a small smile and a thumbs up wishing him luck, she turned back and walked towards the road. 

***********************