CHAPTER 12 - part 2 - LOST

LOST

It happened often with Megha: she would be returning after a satisfied shopping, with her arms full and purse empty and then, would spot a dress in display and fall in love with it. Most of the times, she would lament for a while and then, leave it. Once or twice, she had gone back with a replenished purse, but in vain – it would’ve become someone else’s by then. This time, she felt as if she was meant to find it: It didn’t make her look gangly, like most salwar suits did. On the contrary, it complemented her slim build so much that she felt as if it was made for her the first time she tried it on.

“It may be a bit more pricey than the usual clothes I buy, but my birthday is coming up next week. There’s no harm in gifting myself the most gorgeous salwar suit.”  Megha justified herself in her mind as she drove to the shop early morning the next day.

The shop was open and she entered hastily after parking her car. As she reached the stall where she had seen the salwar yesterday, Megha’s eyes widened in alarm: the customer who was standing a few feet in front of her was inspecting ‘her’ salwar. Megha stood there, not knowing what to do. Suddenly, the customer, a man in green slacks and shirt, which looked strangely familiar, turned around with the salwar in his hands.

“Mohan! Thank God, it’s you!” Megha was relieved.

Mohan looked shocked – probably because of running into her the second time in a store. Megha pointed at the salwar in his hands:

“Actually, I wanted to buy that salwar yesterday itself, but didn’t have enough money with me then. Give it to me and I’ll help you in buying whatever you came here to buy.” Megha extended her hand.

Mohan retrieved his hand the same moment with a guilty look and Megha felt confusion cloud her mind. Her smile turned into a frown.

“You selected this salwar for someone?” she asked. He nodded without meeting her eyes.

“Not for your mother, obviously…and you have no sisters…or girlfriends either…” Megha’s rambling came to an abrupt stop as realization finally dawned in her head – he had a girlfriend.

“You are so stupid, Megha. Everyone don’t refuse marriage just because they are not ready - it’s also because they are in a relationship already. Why wouldn’t Mohan have a girlfriend? He’s handsome, young, has a modest, yet honest job…and most importantly, is a genuine, pure-hearted person. See, even now he won’t meet your eyes because he’s afraid he’ll spill his secrets.” She thought.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to discuss about the person, Mohan.” Megha offered tentatively.

Mohan looked up at her gratefully: “Thank you!”

This confirmed her fear – no, suspicion- and she felt queasy. But she was determined not to make her discomfort obvious.

“Come on then, let me select something much better for your special person.” Megha suggested with a wink and began browsing the nearest stack, but Mohan laid his hands on the stack and stopped her.

“She specifically told me to buy this particular one for her, Ma’am.”

Megha felt sad and hurt - sad because there was no special person for her who would take care of her likes to such an extent, and hurt because … she didn’t know herself.

Mohan must have read the sadness in her face. He instantly began apologizing:

“I’m really sorry. If there was any other way, I would’ve…” he trailed off.

Megha controlled her emotion and tried to mask it behind a laugh.

“It’s ok, Mohan. Remember, I’m letting you buy this one only because you look like you’ll be skinned alive by your special person if you fail.” She joked.

“Thank you, Ma’am. You really did save me from her wrath.” Mohan replied with a chuckle.

There was an affectionate glint in his eyes and it was written on his face clearly that he was smitten by this girl. Megha felt a strange agony seeing this

“Love her like this always.” She said.

Without waiting for his reply, she exited the shop. She didn’t even bother to wipe it away as a lone tear traced it path down the curve of her cheek.

                                *************************

P.S : Megha's salwar on the right side :)