CHAPTER 32 - part1 - A CHARMING INTERVIEW

CHAPTER 58 A CHARMING INTERVIEW

The morning was busier than usual for Renu. Her husband Sanjay left earlier than usual to the bank as he had to finish all the pending works by the end of the day: it was his sister's marriage next week and he felt obliged to help. Thankfully, Renu, seven months pregnant with her second child, had prevented him from landing with the entire responsibility. Being calculative as usual, she had appealed to the groom's family that it would be difficult for Sanjay to take care of her in this condition and at the same time concentrate on wedding preparations, not to mention the pressure of his work. To Renu's enormous relief, the groom's family readily agreed to conduct the function.

It was on her way back from the bus stop after dropping her eight year old son Thanmay that she noticed two young men in smart, executive clothes surveying the surroundings. They kept walking slowly along the road, slowing in front of each house in the colony just long enough to read the number and name.

Looks like they are new to this place. Let me go and see what they are up to.

Renu approached them, eyeing both doubtfully. The one looking younger without a beard noticed her. He turned to her instantly and asked in a polite tone:

"Excuse me, Madam! Could you please tell where Mrs Renu Sanjay lives? We are from the Manasi magazine and wish to interview her."

"That would be me. But how can I trust you? What if you people get inside my flat, slit my throat and escape with all the money and gold?" Renu asked crudely as she surveyed them doubtfully.

"We understand your concern, Ma'am." The older and taller one replied in an equally polite tone. He fished out an ID card from his pocket and handed it over to her.

"Here! This is my ID card. And I can vouch for this guy. He is a budding freelance reporter and an excellent photographer. I thought I should have a photographer with me as I'm going to get a chance to interview a beautiful lady today." He said with a charming smile.

Renu felt a bit proud of herself:

If they think I look beautiful when I am seven months pregnant, then how they would have complimented me had I been normal! Uff!

Renu blushed proudly and nodded at the men in a superior way. Then she examined the ID card. It belonged to the elder man, Mohan Bhatnagar, Reporter at The Morning Wave.

Prerna's fiance Prateek is also in The Morning Wave, isn't he? Maybe he had send them. Manasi magazine is from the same publishing house, I think.

"Oh, so Prateek send you? He sure does know how to deal with people. I'm so happy our darling Prerna got someone like him." Renu gushed.

The two looked puzzled for a bit.

Maybe I praised Prateek a bit too much? I should be praising Prerna, I guess.

"Well, our Prerna is nothing less than a jem stone either." She stated proudly, desperately hoping she sounded sisterly enough.

"Come in then." She said before they could formulate any reply. On her way, she invited her neighbour Chanchal also. Whoever the men might be, Renu didn't really have the guts to stay with them in her flat alone for too long.

She lead the company to her home. The two were very gentlemanly and sat down only when she insisted. Renu sat down with Chanchal on her side, opposite to the men. The elder one, Mohan Bhatnagar, took out a notepad and pen while the younger one took out a small digital camera. He asked her permission and started carefully clicking pictures of the curios kept in the small living room.

"We are doing a wedding special issue this month, Ma'am." Mohan started explaining.

Renu nodded her head gravely. She couldn't help feeling nice every time he called her Ma'am in that sophisticated way. It made her feel important.

"For a variety, we decided to cover the lives of people who have influenced the bride and groom the most. During a telephonic interview with Miss Prerna, she told us that you were the mother figure in her life since her parent's untimely death. So, what are your feelings regarding her marriage?"

Renu never thought Prerna would put in such good words on her account. It now seemed she was wrong in assuming so. Even though she knew deep inside that she was no replacement for Prerna's mother, she swelled with pride at Mohan's words.

Well, the world does not always want to know the truth; people want inspiring stories. So what is the problem if I alter ours a little bit? Moreover, I would be the star in the colony once Chanchal spreads this gossip around.

With that in mind, she began a detailed account of her life and goodness. Mohan Bhatnagar listened carefully and noted down all the important points while the other one took photos of her in several poses.

"Wow, Ma'am! You are indeed an inspiration for all women. If every woman followed your example and loved their husband's family like their own, I'm sure this country will progress much faster." Mohan complimented her, looking all grave and business-like.

"Thank you." Renu replied and couldn't help blushing a little bit.

"So, as we are about to conclude, I'm sure that the entire readers in and outside India would like to know what gift you are going to be giving your dear sister-in-law for her wedding. When we contacted Miss Prerna, she said that it would be her late mother's earrings." Mohan stated and looked at her enquiringly.

Those earrings! From where did Prerna get that idea? No, I'll never part with them.

Renu thought stubbornly and stared back at Mohan silently, wondering how to put forth her objection in a good light.

"This is your golden opportunity. Ma'am. You show us the gift and we will print its photo along with the interview, letting the whole world know about your generous and loving nature. After all, a pair of earrings is not more than your sister-in-law's happiness, are they?" Mohan added as he leaned forward, looking at her earnestly.

Now, Renu was in a fix. She couldn't simply say that she would give them away and then keep it for herself, for they would print the news and everyone in the family would read it. There was an another side also to the issue, just like Mohan said. She would gain popularity not only in her family, but also among her friends and Sanjay's office circle. People who secretly call her names behind her back would finally shut their mouth in defeat.

"So, you are giving your sister-in-law the gift she wished for, aren't you?" Mohan asked again.

Renu side-glanced at Chanchal once and finally decided to say yes.

"You have stolen the words straight from my lips, Mr. Mohan. Even before you suggested, I had decided to give them to her as a wedding present. I didn't reply to your question soon because I was shocked thinking how you guessed my surprise for Prerna." Renu covered up easily with a broad grin.

"Oh, that's great! If you would like to pose along with the earrings in your hands, we would even put it on our cover page." Mohan offered. "What do you think, Mahi?"

"Of course. She would make a brilliant cover page." Mahi nodded his head excitedly.

Leaving the men with Chanchal in the living room, she went inside and fetched the earrings.

"You can't even imagine how many dreams I had woven regarding my little sister's wedding, but as you can see, I can't travel in this condition." Renu said as she placed her right hand protectively over her stomach.

"But, I would send them today itself with Sanjay. He would give them to Prerna." She said.

After a few more minutes of photoshoot, the reporters left quite satisfied. Chanchal stayed back for a few minutes to gossip and then, she too left. As she closed the door behind Chanchal, Renu couldn't help punching the air in happiness.

Finally, the less educated, harsh Renu would become generous, loving Renu, thanks to the two reporters.

                   *********************************