CHAPTER 21 - part 2 - A NEW DAWN

A NEW DAWN

(see the photo on the right side of our male protagonist slumbering away peacefully in his dream world ;P) 

Megha woke up hearing the sound of water. She opened her eyes and found herself curled up in a chair in her parent's bedroom. For a fraction of second, she was bewildered. As her mind booted up, the events of the previous day rushed into her mind. She sat up abruptly and looked around. Mohan was not in the room, but the sound of water rushing out from the shower inside the attached bathroom revealed his current location.  

Megha got up and stretched her body which ached because of her awkward sleeping position. Nursing the crick on her neck, she went to check on a sleeping Nanhi, freshened herself up quickly and came down with Mohan's forgotten red sweatshirt in her hands. 

The water was still running as she returned. She placed a towel along with the sweatshirt on the bed and went to the kitchen silently. 

It was only half past six in the morning, but the sun was out already, bathing the earth in its fresh, warm rays. Megha started the preparations for the breakfast of two - no, currently three inhabitants of the house. As the water for tea boiled, she was interrupted by the chime of the calling bell. Thinking it would be the newspaper boy, she took the monthly subscription charge and opened the door.  

To her absolute horror, Ruchi - her colleague and old batch mate - rushed in without a preamble. She was carrying a load of books and notes in her hand. She placed them with a dull thud on the coffee table and strode inside without waiting for any welcome.  

"Oh, Megha! You wouldn't believe it! The new students are absolutely terrible. They wouldn't just keep their mouth shut. Either they are making a head-splitting racket during free hours or trying to overwhelm me by asking a hundred doubts per day. What do they think of themselves?" She went to the kitchen, rambling all the way. 

Only half of the ramblings registered inside Megha's mind since she was busy thinking how to avoid Ruchi seeing Mohan inside the house. Megha hadn't worried about the propriety of the situation as she made him stay back yesterday. She didn't regret it at all, of course. He was in need of help and she did just what anyone should do out of humanity. But she was sure that if Ruchi, the uncrowned gossip queen, sees him, would not keep mum. She would definitely spin stories and it would adversely affect Mohan's job's discreet nature and also, her reputation. 

Megha quickly followed her into the kitchen and tried listening to her ramblings to decipher the reason for this untimely visit. 

Ruchi went to the stove, poured out a cup of tea for her and began sipping. Megha stood facing Ruchi and the door which led out of the kitchen. From her position, she had a clear view of the dining room and the door to her parent's bedroom.  

"When he gets out, I'll somehow signal him to go. I just hope Ruchi won't turn around till then." Megha thought.  

As she stood there listening to Ruchi's slurping sound, with the wheels turning furiously in her mind, Mohan exited the room wearing the red sweatshirt she had placed on the bed on top of his uniform shirt which he had worn yesterday. His hair looked wet and and his eyes had a red tinge, but his face looked fresh, free from the languor it had yesterday.  

He smiled at her and took a step forward, but retraced instantly as he noticed Ruchi. Megha didn't know how to signal him to go without alerting Ruchi and hence, stood there, staring at him worriedly. 

She needn't have worried, for Mohan quickly grasped the situation. He gave a small hand wave in farewell and swiftly exited the quarters soundlessly in feline grace.  

Megha let out a sigh and smiled in relief. 

"He looks better. I just hope he'll take care of his health and eat proper. If it were not for Ruchi, I could have at least made some healthy breakfast for him..." She thought wistfully.  

She was rudely pulled out from her musings by a disapproving shout from Ruchi. 

"I'm telling you about the infuriating first years and you are smiling?!"  

Megha controlled her smile with difficulty and put on an apologetic face. 

"I'm really sorry, Ruchi. I'll help you to find the answers for their doubts. You know I wouldn't laugh at you. It's just that I saw a really good dream last night and remembered it suddenly." Megha apologised for the sake of being civil and cordial.  

"You'll help me? Fine, then." Ruchi seemed satisfied. She put the now empty cup in the sink and went to get her books and notes. 

Megha thought of the incidents of the previous day:

"All of it does seem like a dream, starting at night and ending by morning. I didn't think about it then, but now, on remembering, it all seems surreal... Rescuing him and bringing him back to consciousness, chatting with him like an old friend, hearing him spilling his deepest insecurities and confessing mine... I wonder where it will all lead... I don't know whether I deserve someone like him in my life, but I do wish desperately that he would stay and always be my friend, my constant... Someone to whom I can share my deepest secrets without fear of judgment, who would respect my opinion and at the same time, wouldn't hesitate to scold me if I err... But it sounds greedy to even my ears-how can I hold him back when he finishes his job here? He has got a life outside and he'll return to it one day or the other... I should hope only to be of some help for him during the time being in his mission... If I'm lucky, this friendship, like the one I share with Prerna, will stand the test of time and distance..."  

Megha contemplated as she sipped her cup of tea and waited for Ruchi to start her rain of complaints again. 

                                                    *****************************