CHAPTER 18 - part 2 - CAUGHT AND ESCAPED

CAUGHT AND ESCAPED

Guru was anxious as well as excited as he hurried out of the quarters. Mohan had confirmed that the packets he had nicked were indeed those containing drugs - marijuana to be precise - and had praised him generously. The pride and satisfaction Guru was feeling at that instant was enough to reaffirm his passion towards his job and to make him desperate for fingerprints.

As he entered the main road, someone called his name. He stopped and turned around. It was Nirvesh himself!

“Guru, will you come to our hostel for a minute?” He asked politely.

Guru wondered why he was being called, but didn’t show the confusion on his face. He just nodded in agreement and followed Nirvesh.

“I’m sorry Guru, I know it is lunch hour. But we need you right now. As soon as our job is done, you can go back.” Nirvesh assured him as they entered the men’s hostel.

“They just need me for some trivial chore.” Guru thought and relaxed.

But, as soon as they entered a lonely corridor, Nirvesh caught hold of him and pressed him against the wall. His friends emerged from the nearby room and surrounded them both.

“Where are the packets you nicked today morning?” Nirvesh asked in a chilling tone.

Guru was shocked by the sudden attack and didn’t know what to do. He  tried his best to speak, but words failed him as Nirvesh’s chilling gaze scrutinized his face. He looked menacing and his grip was rather strong.

“Oh, no! They’ve cornered me quite tactfully. What do I tell them? How do I escape? Please God, show me a way!” he prayed desperately.

“We know it was you who cleaned the water purifier in the common room today. Speak up!” Nirvesh shouted and shook Guru harshly

“I won’t stand a chance against these people if I infuriate them. I should somehow spin a believable lie, escape and alert Bhayya.” Guru thought as common sense slowly drifted back to his frightened mind.

“It’s not with me!” Guru shouted back.

“Did you sell it to someone, then?” Nirvesh’s right hand, the bulky six feet six inches guy came in front and inquired.

“Yes. To my friend who needed it.” Guru said quickly, inwardly thanking Bulky for providing him with a reasonable lie.

“I know his friend. It’s his roommate, that gardener, isn’t he?” Another tall, but skinny guy from the group asked.

A million thoughts were going through Guru’s mind right then.

“What do I do? If I tell Bhayya’s name, maybe I can escape now. But won’t they hunt Bhayya? If they decide to attack us within this campus, then we both will doomed.” he thought anxiously