CHAPTER 45 - part1 - BACK ON TRACK

CHAPTER 72 BACK ON TRACK 

Arvind has always considered the news about unfortunate events in the society in a detached manner; he felt they would never affect them. It was changed when his elder so was caught up in one disaster. Shilpa's incident seemed to have underlined the need to change his outlook. 

Arvind recalled how tensed Lokesh had been during one of their meetings a few weeks ago. And just a few days ago, he breezily mentioned that Shilpa had come back, wanting to stay in the house where her mother took her last breath and study in the nearby college. Arvind had found it strange, but let it go, thinking Lokesh would share if the issue ever got beyond his control. Now, he understood the reason. He couldn't blame Lokesh for hiding the truth: what sort of parents wouldn't want to give their child an opportunity to start anew? 

Well, I would, wouldn't I? Even now, I blame him for that incident years ago, don't I? Why couldn't I forgive and move on like his mother? I am a bad parent, aren't I? 

Megha's voice washed over his senses and he couldn't help rethinking his treatment of his own son. Her words were bringing up the issue in a whole new perspective and it was making him feel uneasy. He was not liking the picture of himself emerging sharper and sharper from the past as her words went on. 

Did I give him the chance to explain or did I just refuse to listen when he declared his career choice? Why can't I recall anything except being infuriated by his lack of trust in my decision? Had I ever genuinely tried to understand why he chose different? 

However he tried, he couldn't get a reassuring answer for that question.  

No, I just kept reassuring myself that he would one day he would recognise his mistake and come back under my wings. I really wanted my son to be defeated in life so that I could prove myself right, didn't I? 

Arvind felt horrible.  

And now, a stranger had to show me the mirror.  

Just then, the girl knelt beside him, forcing him to look into her eyes.  

"Your father is a very lucky man." He whispered earnestly and caressed her head tenderly, thanking her inwardly. She smiled and replied: 

"So are you, Mr Bhatnagar." She said and directed her gaze in Mohan's direction.  

He was a man of few words and seldom let emotions overrule his countenance. But he couldn't help replying to the girl. 

"Yes, I know it now." He admitted. 

The blissful expression on his son's face as soon as he acknowledged that he was indeed lucky to have him doused the last spark of dissatisfaction in his mind. Arvind felt much lighter after years as a weight which even he didn't know existed, was removed from his conscience. 

Megha too had a contented smile on her face, but she was not facing him; she was smiling on seeing happiness in Mohan's face. 

Interesting. He noted curiously.  

Breaking the magic of the moment, the doctor entered the room. After checking the vitals, he suggested them to sleep as Mohan is in dire need of some rest. Megha insisted she would leave with Nanhi, making room for him on the cot. But he reprimanded her authoritatively, saying he didn't want her driving at such wee hours of morning and insisted that he was comfortable on the chair. Reluctantly, she curled up beside the little girl who was still sleeping soundly and soon drifted off to sleep.  

You have done something even Indu has failed to do in all these years. Is this the new chapter in Mohan's life, I wonder... 

"Hope you didn't tell Ma yet." Mohan said softly from the bed, breaking his chain of thoughts.