είκοσι τέσσερα | memorabili osculum

24 | an unforgettable kiss

"I have several for you to choose from" ED said, unzipping a suitcase.

"Are there dress codes?"

"No, no, no, wear whatever you want to"

I looked at all the dresses she brought out, a myriad of all the colours of the rainbow. I spotted a pastel pink gown, the back exposed with crossed spaghetti straps and a low, drop V-neck at the front. I slipped in on, amazed at how well it fitted my body.

"This is beautiful" I exclaimed, staring at the dress as ED fiddled with the straps.

"Theo told me to make quite a few but I was certain this one would be the one" she said, rubbing my shoulders as she stepped back to admire her work. I swept my hair to the side, stepping to the side as the fish-tail end sashayed on my shins.

"I also brought these burnt-orange stilettos sandals for you to wear with these and then we'll sweep your hair into a low, twisted bun yeah?"

I nodded and changed back into the silk robe to do my makeup. As we finished my red lip touch up, Darcy opened the drawer next to me.

"Theo wanted you to wear these for the wedding" she said, opening a small, blue velvet box and removing of pearl earrings, "it was his mothers" she finished as I hooked it in. I could feel myself choking up.

"It's beautiful" I gasped, feeling immediately connected to her spirit. Then Lissette came out from the bathroom and we all gasped, her mermaid dress sown with little Swarovski diamonds and silk straps. As she came out, the train of her wedding dress moved with her body, gliding in a slow sweeping way. Tears welled up in her eyes, twinkling under the soft light and we too, teared up.

"You look so stunning" I exclaimed, my hands clasped over my mouth, awestruck.

"Thank you" she replied, "I can't believe its today, how lucky I am to marry somebody I genuinely like and love with all my heart... oh Ivory look at you" she whispered and hugged me, snuffling a little bit.

"Oh my gawd! Don't make me cry! I just finished doing my makeup" I stated, padding the corner of my eye with a tissue.

She frowned, trying to keep the tears at bay, "I'm trying not to" she smiled, brushing aside the hair that framed my face, "okay, I've got this" she sighed, turning towards the other girls with her arms outstretched and hugging us all closely. With a sense of finality, she tilted her head up as though she was wearing a heavy crown and strutted to the car with ED, who'd leave before we could. Shortly after, Giana followed them to apply the finishing touches to the cakes and transport them safely to the venue.

The men waited for the rest of us at the foot of the stairs, I caught Theo's eye amid my (potential) calamitous descend down the stairs - the heel seemed to high on uneven ground and it worried me that I'd trip and fall disastrously. He winked at me, his hair styled beautifully, zhuzhed up by small comb patterns, and his fingers clasped together wrinkling the sleeve of his black suit. I smiled at him as I reached him, pointing to the burnt-orange handkerchief tucked into his top pocket.

"You look beautiful" he said, kissing the top of my head tenderly, "the earrings fit so well"

"So do you" I replied, as he gently reached for my hands. I held onto his tightly as we strolled to his car, only letting go for him to get the door.

As we drove and followed the other cars to the venue, Theo reached out and rubbed my thigh. Instinctively, I wanted to place my hands over his, welcoming his firm grip but I remained stuck, my eyes remaining on the road as the images of James' hands flashed through my mind.