δύο(2)| cladis

I strolled down to Magda's house, anxiously questioning if her friends and family would like me. My auburn curls strewn down my waist, softly swaying in the breeze and causing me to chill a little more. I had no presents to give to her which would make my presence ten times worse than it already was, I forcefully dug my fingers into my blue distressed jeans, awkwardly squashing my forearms against my beige sweatshirt pondering on this as I stepped onto her porch. My sweaty fist hesitant to knock on her door, I was halfway through stretching it out when the door abruptly opened with a beaming Magda on the door frame. She stepped out slightly offering me a tight hug, one a grandmother would give her grandchild when he/she were inconsolable. It made me feel warm. Very warm. She ushered me in, smiling kindly as she muttered something under her breath.

There were girls and boys seating together on the stairs, some fondly laughing as the boys - which I presumed were their boyfriends- whispered sweet nothings in their ear. I wasn't one for PDA (public display of affection) but the intensity of their actions was charming. Some stilled when they noticed me and I grinned back nervously. It must have been a taboo to come into someone's house empty-handed around here, I duly noted that that wouldn't repeat itself again.

Magda stood to the side of a door, incessant chatter radiating from the room to which the door belonged to, as she patiently waited for me to tear my eyes away from the prying eyes of her guests, I walked briskly to meet her feeling absolutely horrible for my manners - or lack thereof. She softly pushed me into the room, as she quietened the inhabitants. No! Oh Mother of God?! What the hell was I doing here? I stood there, my face flushed, my hands sweaty as I stuffed them further into the back pocket of my jeans. Not that they could go further or anything! Though I wished I could! Probably get hidden somewhere, under a rock or something large that would bash my brain to smithereens.  I awkwardly waved my hands up in the air, a lame semi- circle of a gesture and mumbled my name under my breath incoherently.

I was sure nobody could decrypt my line of gibberish.

Silence. Nothing but deafening silence. The silence where you could hear the wind blowing. The silence where you felt each particle of hair on  your nape stand up, my curls coiling as they basked in the sweat accumulating there. I swear I heard crickets whispering into the night.

"It's a pleasure to meet you" someone suddenly perked up, "my name's Autumn, your eyes are gorgeous" she added enthusiastically as she delightfully flashed me an earnest smile. I could tell she was younger than me , her sparkling eyes giving that away but I too, flashed her a massive smile. The silence then settled again. I looked around for a seat to rest my shaky legs.

"Well? What about everyone else here?! You were eagerly discussing earlier on." Magda sighed, an irritated tone in her voice. I was just about to tell her it was alright - it really was - but suddenly everybody started introducing themselves, making me jump a little in fright at the loud chorus of the other guests.

I looked beyond Autumn, at the tall and brooding figure standing behind her, his hooded stormy hazel eyes with specks of grey and emerald green never leaving my crystal blue ones. His hazel irises, the color of sweet honey and rich earth soil were captivating. The green and grey specks bore deeply into my soul, like an inspector looking deeply into the core of my heart.

The black sweatshirt highlighting his hair, a dance between an inky obsidian and a rich chestnut color. The tips tinged with cinnamon and bronze that occasionally caught the light. I glanced at his arms crossed over his shoulders, encompassed with bulging muscles stretching taut at the expanse of his broad chest. The stubble around his mouth only emphasized his soft plump lips and tanned complexion that Autumn shared. He was breathtaking and stunning to look at.

Can you tell?

Magda's sudden clap jolted me out of my staring. It suddenly hit me that I was full on staring! So rude! I gazed at some of the guests, my smile plastered on as I tried to memorize each person's name. As they resumed their chatter, I look back at the stranger, my hands slightly outstretched to formally introduce myself but his darkening eyes set me off balance a little bit. He suddenly looked really ... frustrated, a low and deep growl resonated through the room as he abruptly stormed out of the room. Did I do something wrong?

I felt Magda's warm hands on my back, rhythmically patting my back as she ushered me to the dining room, blaming his action on his usual cold demeanor. Still! That was rude!

I sat down next to a girl called Brie who I soon learned was obsessed with F.Scott Fitzgerald's books. She too comforted me on the stranger's action, insisting that it had been a long day for him and soon enough, it was long forgotten though my appetite was still gone. The food was incredible but I just couldn't stomach anything at that moment, I just wanted to leave, it had been a long day for me too. I heard Magda's friend, Grace, I remembered correctly, cry for more food and without realizing,  I jumped up quickly, offering to get it politely.

I successfully removed the lasagna safely out of the oven, reaching for the small tray of chicken and gravy and leaving it all to cool on the side as I caught my breath on the wall nearby. Trust me, those trays were heavy!

"Sorry about earlier" a deep, mellifluous voice sounded behind me . I turned around, drinking his stature in. Okay, confirmed, he was beautiful. Though an asshole, he was a beautiful one. I crossed my hands, nibbling at my lips as I thought of what to say next, it was imperative that I chose my next words carefully.

"It's okay, I guess but know that I wasn't staring so rudely intentionally, I was simply just introducing myself to the guests"  I replied, already exasperated with his constantly changing personality. I just NEEDED to leave.

"But you did" he sighed in frustration, shutting the fridge door behind him as he walked towards me, covering our distance in three strides. I breathed in sharply, taking in his cashmeran and vanilla pods scent with a little mix of cologne. It was so hard to concentrate on what he was saying when his scent was lulling me into him. It was so unique. I mean who smells like vanilla. He leaned in, resting his hand above my head against the wall.

"Why are you really here, Delilah?" he said the name so smoothly, like it was meant to be said by him. His eyes eager for my response. I swallowed a big lump in my throat as my heart started beating erratically. Really?! We haven't even had a full conversation yet! How lame?

"Ex-x-xcuse me? My name's....Ivory" I mumbled, licking my lips quickly as he leaned in again. God please protect my poor heart!

He opened his mouth "Nobody ever comes to this town without good reason, I'll find out wh-"

"Ivory! Ivory sweetie! Alp-" Grace called out, her voice quietening as she disappeared into another room and then increasing again. He froze, looking up to the ceiling as anger masked his face, he suddenly pushed himself off, his eyes darted at me once again as he turned on his heels and abruptly left.

"Ivory!" Grace looked at me horrified, "what in the name of... what happened here? What were you and Alp- Theo doing here?"she asked. Her arms pointing in my direction. I assessed myself quickly.

"What? Erm nothing" I retorted back "why is something wrong with me right now?" I quickly added.

"No sweetie, THAT" she exclaimed, pointing at the wall, I turned to look at what she was so interested in, my mind blank as I gazed at the now dented wall. The dent, where Theo's hand- I learned his name was - had been resting. The debris falling softly to the ground.

What the fuck?