έντεκα (11)|iurgium

My eyes sped past the giant, evergreens and canopy trees, fogging up the window as I pressed my face against it, trying to ascertain if the trees were swaying in this thick fog. I sat back in my seat, listening to the music before I remembered my newest property. I brought out my driving licence and frantically waved it in his face again as he gently brushed my hand away.

"Finally!" he exasperatedly rolled his eyes, slowing the car to a halt as the traffic lights switched from amber to red.

"It only took me two months to get it done, the instructor told me that he has had to fail at least 10 people in these last few months because they were in such a rush to get it done" I replied back, slotting the card back safely in my wallet and tapping it tenderly.

"Good for you!" he sarcastically replied, breaking into an unfamiliar smile.

"Yes, it is a mighty victory of mine to finally be able to get my own car... who knows, the company might even offer me one" I said, shrugging my shoulders. I knew that a complimentary car was only for the actual lawyers, even though they did not actually need it because of their salaries and company bonuses.

"How has work been?" Theo asked, as he slowly started moving the car forward as the lights switched again.

"Tiring! So tiring...", I zoned out momentarily, "...but I've always wanted this so despite all the work, I love it a-" I paused as my phone vibrated.

Ask him about the trip, let me know what he says.

I locked my phone and looked at him pensively. Then back at the road. Was there truly a chance that Theo was involved in human trafficking transnationally? He seemed like a good person, I mean he was awkward and broody and anti-social and sometimes abrupt and...and...and...considerate and helpful.

"What?" he asked, his hazel eyes glaring at me. Like a camera, zooming in and out and adjusting itself for full focus.

"Nothing, I was just thinking about something" I replied, brushing off his attention.

He did not press any further, instead his grip tightened on the steering wheel.

"So what exactly is your job?" I asked, "I mean how are you able to jet around the world and all that?"

"I manage wealth" he replied abruptly, I could feel him shutting his emotions off now and the atmosphere suddenly became a little hostile.

"Y-Yes but what does that entail exactly?"

"Why? Are you looking for a change in your career" he asked. No laugh. No smile. No nothing.

"N-No of course not" I stuttered, stumbling over my words, "it's just that you are so accomplished, you have money and cars, you look great, you smell good, you don't live on the side of town that most people live in – us poor folks... it seems perfect."

"I work hard", he paused, his brows furrowing as his mind formed a question "how do you know where I live?" he asked, almost like an interrogation.

My breath caught in my throat as I realised. Shit.

I started shaking my head reflexively, " Erm, I don't know, Magda must have said it once" I shrugged. My brain blaring like sirens as the name Noah visualised in my head.

"Is that right?" he pressed the gas pedal, "I move rich people's assets for them around the world and I get a percentage of that" he stated, his tone ending the conversation.

He breathed through his nose deeply, increasing the volume of the radio. I had ruined the mood completely. Was he angry because the questions were invasive? Maybe he knew that I had lied to him?