τριάντα πέντε | bellum (2)

35 | war (Part 2)

The sounds reached a crescendo of screams, snarls and clashes of metal rose as we stealthy climbed the stairs. Suddenly, a wolf lunged at me, knocking me down the slabs of concrete. Zach hurried down quickly, leaping into his wolf as it pounced on our enemy. The transformation so fluid and quick that the only evidence of it was the torn clothes strewn on the ground.

I gripped its neck tightly, the way Zach had shown me on occasion during my restless nights and dug out its nails from my thigh, stretching immediately to reclaim my dagger and drive it through its eye.

It yelped, skittering across the floor and I lunged at it again pining myself between it and the wall and holding it up tight, stretching its neck and slicing its gut open. It cried out, its body rising and falling as life fell out of it, in helpless gasps before all movement slowed to a halt.

Zach's black wolf nudged my ribs, its eyes looking at me to ask how I was feeling, but as I stretched my hands to stroke its ear in an effort to reassure him, bile clawed up my throat and I instantly projectile-vomited on the wall. I could feel my eyes stinging and the adrenaline climbing again as my brain registered my first ever kill but I gripped my dagger tighter, wiping away the wetness of the vomit on my lips and blood on my dagger across my camisole as we approached the steps again. Zach's wolf nuzzled my thigh, comforting me. The soles of my feet now drenched with blood, as we ascended, locating another body or wolf on each step like a gruesome crime scene.

A wolf cry interrupted us nearby and Zach took off, racing up the steps and immediately leaping onto a black wolf that had torn off the ear of another – one of our own. Though, this black wolf was thin, almost wispy in comparison to Zach's full mane, its breathing laboured, and its claws outstretched and blackened by neglect. Zach circled the animal, baring his teeth, as saliva dripped onto the ground. The black wolf jumped at Zach but he side-stepped, tracking back and studying his prey. He lifted his head, sniffing the air and howling before licking the ear of the wounded wolf. In a blur, he pounced and knocked down the animal, digging his claws into its sides as it yelped and writhed in agony. Zach's marble-grey eyes darted towards me, growling at me.

"Move" his eyes seemed to communicate, his ears flopping as I slid away into Mason's quarters, shutting myself from the chaos outside. I listened quietly, trying to avoid the obvious signs of squabble and guttural growls, and quickly slipped into the room adjacent to me, the darkness consuming my frame as fingers clamped over my mouth.

I shoved and elbowed their rib and welcome the pained grunt that escaped out of them, pulling, and twisting their arms out as I turned around.

"Ivory, it's me Mandy" I heard a voice say, as the ghost of a silhouette appeared from the darkness. The grip on my dagger tightened as my eyes adjusted.

"Get the fuck back" I shouted, crouching and ready for her attack.

She held her palms out from her ribs, revealing a circle of bloodstained fabric, "I'm bleeding" she choked out, as though speaking was consuming all her energy. She leaned against the wall and the soft spill of light illuminated her sweaty, pale face.

The grip on my dagger loosened a fraction.

"You probably think I deserve this don't you" the corner of her lips turning up as she held her side tighter and looked up at the sky, "you'll probably be right"

I opened my mouth to speak but instead clamped it shut and made way for the exit.

"Magda is looking for you" she spoke quickly, the words coming out of her mouth. She dragged her body to the floor, slumping on the wall.