37| happiness finally?

"You're awake?!" My father exclaimed in disbelief.

I hadn't turned from Dorran at the new guest but he had turned from me, the intensity in his gaze blown out and in its place disappointment which I was feeling too as he closed his mouth.

I couldn't help but feel what he was going to say was so important.

Dorran looked at me one last time before he stood up, telling my father with slight hesitance and regret, "I'll leave you to it."

My father nodded but I didn't want Dorran to leave. I felt complete when he was around me, utterly so and him being alive almost didn't feel real still. I needed him here so I could convince myself that he hadn't died; it felt almost unbelievable. The dread, heartbreak and guilt inside of me hadn't disappeared but Dorran alive? I had never felt more elated and surprised in my life. There were no words to explain how I was feeling. I don't know what I would've done if he was gone forever.

My father sat where Dorran was sitting and looked at me with such worry and love whilst gripping my hands right.

"I was so worried Darcy," he said and I could feel the emotion in his words whilst Dorran still lingered in my mind. It seemed as if he was the only thing I could concentrate on.

Nevertheless, I was glad to see that Michael was unharmed.

Yes, this man hadn't been there for me growing up but him hiring Zane to protect me, showing up at the bridge, tackling his twin and now being here made me realise that his words at his house were true.

He really was changing for me and my heart bumped in something akin to satisfaction and love.

"I'm sorry for forcing you to stay at mine, I was just worried and wanted to protect you. Now I get that it was too fast much too soon. But Darcy, we can take little steps. I'd like to get to know you."

When I remained silent, he looked down at his hands, "I'm so sorry. You probably just woke up and here I am talking about this. What is wrong with me? I thought ....."

He kept on rambling and I zoned it all out as I watched him.

My emotions had felt like they had been on a broken rollercoaster, up and down, up and down, the nauseating cycle making me feel horrible but this?

This was a nice feeling that was brewing in my chest now.

Dorran was alive and my father was here, healthy and making amends.

I could see in his eyes that he was honest and he was sorry and although I hadn't wanted to forgive him, I wanted to now. Everyone made mistakes and his were never on the same level as his twin's, the comparison striking. I would forgive him because life was too short to. Death had surrounded my life like a vicious blaze of black, threatening to blind me and keep me down, but today had shown that everything was worthwhile.

He was my father and he deserved a chance.

Something the horrible recent events seemed to have highlighted to me.

I stared into his eyes, seeing my reflection but seeing his too, seeing his soul and seeing the man he truly was.

"I would like that," Was the only thing I said to him, my throat hurting so much still but even though it was only a little sentence, his eyes lit up, lightened by a thousand shades, not even trying to hide the happiness.

And looking at him and feeling the surge of light in my heart, mirroring the sunshine coming through the window, I had never felt more right in my life.

Things were coming together which felt unbelievable thinking because not just five minutes ago, I had been so distraught. I would never have imagined to feel so full, so hopeful. It was as if I was in a dreamland, a land filled with possibility and hope. I hadn't thought that had been in the cards for me.