35| invisible brook is calling

I didn't want to understand what was happening, be conscious of the reality that was threatening to drag me down and never let me up again.

My father had been shot.

My own father had been shot and yet I knew it wasn't over yet. There were still more casualties, more deaths on the horizon that were upcoming just as the sun began to rise over us all, providing us with the foolish and misleading blanket of hope. Nothing in this situation was hopeful. We were all doomed. Even if some of us survived, we were still doomed.

As I stood in Mathew's grasp, I couldn't comprehend what had happened and what was yet to come. I was stuck in a dazed sort of limbo, too shocked, too horrified, too anything to move, to even try and escape. I was paralysed. Everything around me had been moving too fast; I couldn't gather my bearings. I was lost in the sea of violence.

But in the next second, another booming sound of a gunshot brought me out of the daze, reminding me that I shouldn't have let myself get lost in my head, that I couldn't forget that the danger wasn't over yet. 

Only, it was too late.

Almost instantaneously, the horrifying sound was followed by a sharp unbearable pain in my gut, something I had never felt before ever.

I opened my eyes and white blinding light surrounded my vision as I gasped in pain and I was left dazed, unable to see clearly.

My hands brought up to the place where it felt so unbelievably wrong and when they came away, my eyes focused just in time to see the copious amounts of red that lingered on my hand.

At first, I was just confused, too shocked at the sudden event.

But then clarity came through in spades, in rhythm with the blood seeping from my shirt, knocking me off balance.

Mathew had turned his weapon on me. He had shot me. 

It seemed as if Mathew was not holding himself back anymore. He wanted us all dead and he'd see it done. I was just his next victim.

It was so hard to concentrate on something, on anything as things started to fade away, my head ringing from the gunshot still but also the shock of being so violently attacked. I couldn't think of anything, of anyone in that moment but the shock and horror swirling inside of me like the dangerous waves hitting a cliff.

I almost became lost in the bleariness.

But there was something, a loud repeated sound over and over again.

It was someone shouting my name.

My ears felt painfully numb but I could always hear his voice in the chaos of the noise, it was Dorran.

He was running to me, gesturing for me to come to him with urgent eyes as I was brought back to reality almost.

I was in a state of shock and my legs were too weak to move, too fragile as blood continued to seep out of my wound.

But with Dorran's intense gaze and his continued shouting, my limbs started to move at their own accord as my body pulled me to my safe haven, realising that I was no longer under the hold of the gunman that had shot at both me and my dad.

The energy I was exerting felt as if I was running and not limping slowly at best, my movement felt slow as my hands tightened on the gash. I willed my body into action but it didn't comply and tears of frustration appeared in my eyes.

I didn't want to die like this.

But I had to remind myself was not the time to break down.

I limped to Dorran, so close to his warmth but there was something in me, that knew deep down that I'd never make it that far.