25| explanations needed

Everything became blurry after those words were spoken.

My lungs felt deflated, my heart painfully slow and my skin frozen to the touch as a haze of shock surrounded me, rendering me absolutely speechless and blank.

My reaction might've seemed dramatic and his claims might not have seemed so shocking.

But I hadn't expected this. Not at all.

Mathew Ravencourt had been my father for as long as I had known and although there was something so perceivably off about him and I had never felt connected to him in any way, I never would've thought that he was not my father.

It was something that I had been told since birth, something hammered into me for as long as I had been alive and suddenly it wasn't true?

The revelation has shocked me to my core and I had no words or momentum to try and grasp it.

This man was my father and yet he was nothing but a stranger with his jade green eyes and brown hair, the only characteristics I shared with him. I didn't know anything about this man: what his favourite colours were, what he liked to when he wasn't working if he was working and where he was working.

He continued to stare at me as if his life had been leading to this moment, a moment so precious where he would meet his daughter.

But rather than this heart-wrenching family reunion, I cared more about clearing the confusion and shock that still lurked in my mind. None of it made sense.

As I began to process in the silent room, the shock was fading into suspicion and anger.

Looking across at the stalker on the other side of the room who was still standing there, just watching us with his hands in his pockets, my hands clambered into fists.

This man had been the one to have the stalker follow and protect me for years which cleared up that he had known I was his daughter for a long time now and yet he hadn't told me until this present moment. He was also the one who had me kidnapped.

I said nothing but stare at the person in front of me. My eyes no longer held any shock or any warmth as I stood there and analysed him, trying to figure him out.

This man was my father.

I had to repeat those words in my head over and over again to force my mind to acknowledge that it was true but the more times I said it, the more they lost any sort of meaning and value until all that was left in my mind was a swirl of bleariness.

Seeing the change of emotion in my eyes, the man took a step forward to me whilst reaching his hand out almost to comfort me.

I took a step backwards, unlike the last time, forcing my body to go against what my heart was telling me to do. I didn't care that he claimed he was my father. He just wasn't.

Unlike with Mathew, there was no doubt in my head that he was the one to impregnate my mother but that was all he was in this moment, a sperm donor.

Real fathers were meant to raise you, teach you things, make you smile, comfort you when you were down, help you and more. And yet this person in front of me had done nothing for me all those years, not even telling me the truth, just like my mother and Mathew so that put him with them, the people I had no love towards. Perhaps he had done something for me, he did hire protection and then use that protection to kidnap me; gee maybe I should call him daddy.

Seeing me take a step backwards, he just stopped without approaching me and there was a wave of sadness and guilt that passed over his face.

"I know you're probably confused," he muttered with pleading in his voice, "But I had to wait until now and I'll explain everything."