7| happy little stalker

Last night had been a whirlwind but I tried to push the whole thing from my mind.

Yes, I was in danger from Dorran; he made that abundantly clear but this wasn't the first time my safety was at risk and it wouldn't be the last. I just had to try and avoid him and his friends even though it would be hard seeing that his dad was marrying my mother but every precaution would help until I figured him out. He must have some weaknesses that I could exploit until he left me alone.

The morning had passed quickly and despite the stares having still continued the same amount, I think everyone became decreasingly worried that I was a threat to them and they pretty much left me alone.

I was cautious to bump into Dorran and his friends after last night but there was no sight of them and I sighed in satisfaction. Maybe not getting killed would be easier than I thought.

I wasn't scared of Dorran even though he was frightening but I wasn't stupid. He was dangerous and my survival instincts told me to steer clear and not engage the predator if I wanted to survive.

• • •

The bell signalling the end of the day rang through the school building, the shrill sound gyrating on my frail nerves after having not slept a lot last night thanks to the unexpected visitor.

The school day had passed and I had still not seen any of the boys. I began to wonder if I was safer than I thought.

Just as I was about to leave the building and get into my car home, the nasal voice of the secretary rang through the corridors.

"Students participating in the dance try-outs should make their way to the pitch now."

No one seemed to pay any attention to the announcement and continued walking and chatting.

Me?

Thrill coursed through my veins.

I wasn't trying to blow my own trumpet but I was good at dance, very good. It seemed as if my mother would not change her mind about my school swap and therefore maybe it'd be a good idea to focus on East Bridge. Yes, I wasn't welcome but it didn't mean that I had to sit on the side lines; I liked to dance and I'd participate if I damn wanted to.

A menacing smile appeared on my lips as I thought about the mean girl who approached me at lunch yesterday. I knew what dance outfits looked like and she was definitely wearing one. Appearing at the dance try-outs would for sure annoy her and getting onto the team? That would really aggravate her.

I turned direction and started walking towards the pitch, a smile still on my lips.

There was no way I'd be able to stop the ruthless attack from the boys now with my limited knowledge of them but I had other people on my case like the rude girl that I could belittle until she realised fighting me was futile. It would definitely help control the simmering frustration of being treated so unfairly. Sometimes people needed a taste of their own medicine.

And although my anger was mainly towards Dorran and the boys, sometimes the silver linings really did count. I'd make sure they did.

Right before I entered the pitch, I pulled out my phone and texted Lennox that I was heading to dance try-outs and that he could come and watch if he wanted and that we should do something after.

I missed my best friend; we didn't see each other nearly as much and he did like to watch me dance so I thought why not. I wanted to hang out with him after so this was a perfect opportunity.