bonus chapter 3

DARCY

When Dorran said these years were going to be the better than the last, I had believed him but didn't know how much of an extent that it would be true.

Pregnancy had its ups and downs but I had never felt more in love with life, more in love with the people that surrounded me and more in love with my future that was growing inside of my stomach.

It was now the end February and everything was starting to get slightly warmer, flowers were getting ready to bloom, the animals were preparing to come out of hibernation and my little August was just about ready to grace the world with his beauty.

August, our son that we decided to name, knowing that this was the perfect name, was overdue but today my water had broke and I was currently in the car being driven to the hospital by Dorran who was abnormally agitated, so very agitated.

"Why are you so calm?" Dorran asked me, agitation and slight fear slithering In his eyes as a nurse pushed me through the corridor filled with people bustling about.

"Why are you not is the question," I replied back with easy humour, "You aren't about to push out a baby out."

"Now is not the time for your snark," His eyes narrowed at me as his fingers continued to tick by my wheelchair, his long legs easily matching the hurried strides of the nurse.

I just turned to him, even though I felt the pain of the contractions and smiled my most annoying smile, "I think August will appreciate it. Man up."

He just narrowed his eyes even further and followed me into the room that I was parked in.

When I was put on the bed by my husband who moved me around like I was a porcelain doll, it was only so long until the doctor came in and said that it was time to start pushing.

Dorran stood by my side, staring at my face as he held my hand, that intensity splaying out the anxiety and excitement.

"On your birthing plan, it says you do not want epidural. That is correct?" The doctor asked and I merely nodded as the pain almost became unbearable.

"So, Ms Thornton, I'd like you to push."

And so I did.

With every push and every slither of pain that infiltrated my bones, I knew that my life was about to change.

For with inexplicable amounts of pain came change and with change came a life so irrevocably full of happiness and love that the past that seemed to hurt didn't seem to matter so much. It was inconsequential with the beauty it brought after.

And so with one final look into my husband's beautiful eyes and one last push, I couldn't do anything but stare in wonder at the tiny and precious baby boy that was gifted to this world and would be so eternally happy at what treasures my life brought me.

August, my little August, was brought into my arms and it was then when he opened his beautiful eyes, eyes the colour of mine, bringing tears to the mother that would always protect him.

Dorran picked up his child and held him close to his bare chest, August gurgling and making the cutest little sounds but what held my attention and what would forever was the love of my life and the child he and I made that now made out perfect, little family.

Dorran's face was so vulnerable and open. Even I had never seen his face lacking the shadows, lacking the shield. It was so fragile and beaconing as he stared at his son, complete awe on his face.

It was then that he looked at me, a single bead of moisture gathering in his eyes, "He's perfect."

And there was nothing for me to say but wholeheartedly agree. He couldn't be more perfect.

Life couldn't be more perfect at this moment.

This was what life was about. This was what I was born to be.

A wife.

A mother.

A woman who survived and withstood, despite the pain and the heartbreak until she found her place in the world where she was never happier, never more blissfully content, no more nightmares but a big dream that she now lived in.

Never looking back, only forward.

To the future with our August and his soon two little sisters, Coraline and Isabelle, carrying the fighting spirit to love first and foremost, by our sides, spreading happiness and joy.

Until the beautiful end.