I - The Return to Earth

Începe de la început

"Ma'am, be calm, please. I'll tell you everything that happened to your son. We found him."

"But where is he? He is dead?" She started to cry, desperate.

"He's here," Merko said, gesturing at Nicholas as he walked toward them, walking through the house's garden.

"My son! Is it really you?"

The sadness quickly turned to joy.

"Of course, it's me, Mother. He was dying, but to see you."

"Dear son, where have you been during all this time? Are you all right?" And in the face Nicholas' silence, she changed the subject. "I do not care! I just want to hug you, feel you..."

Tears rolled down Lorena's face, who showed great relief at having her son back.

"Mother, I'm sorry I have not given you news these last few days. Do not cry, it has not been that long."

"My son, for a mother every minute is precious and counts as an eternity. And you've always been very responsible, you've never done anything like this before. I was very worried about the lack of news and I feared for the worse." She said embracing him, what was soon reciprocated.

"Calm down, now I'm back, safe and sound."

"Why did you disappear, my son? Why did you make me so worried?"

Merko, still pretending to be the investigator, interrupted the reunion:

"My daughter was kidnapped, ma'am. And your son was taken along because they were dating. I think they wanted to do deal with me because I was investigating a very dangerous Los Angeles mafia. But my team was already behind them for a long time and we managed to capture all of them, discovering the captivity and saving both. It took a few weeks to find them and the threats were increasing. They wanted to exchange the two for some of their members who were prisoners. The important thing is that we have been able to rescue them without any injury. I know you must be wondering why I didn't say anything before, but I ask you to understand me: how could I open up to you about the whole investigation if we did not know of the participation of Nicholas in the whole story?

"What happened to me was horrible, mom!"

"I understand you, officer." Lorena said, understanding the danger her son had been involved in. "Since when do you know this cop's daughter, Nick?"

"Zara studies with me, mom. I swear I'm going to introduce her as soon as possible. If you can, tomorrow. The day we disappeared, we decided to have a snack after class when two suspicious men followed us. We suspected this and Zara immediately called her father who is a cop. She had a tracker her father had left to trigger in case of possible dangers. She put it in her stocking. You know how these police investigators are, most of them are paranoid. But this time it helped a lot! "

"Tell me! What happened next?" Her mother said anxiously, but already breathing relieved that her son was right there in front of her.

"The guys approached us, surrendered us taking away our cell phones and tossed us into a van with the intention of negotiating with Zara's father because they had learned that their mafia friends were stranded in the city's jail. Zara also thought it could be a revenge for some thug who had already been arrested by her father, but their purpose was an exchange. We spent a couple of days in an apartment in Santa Monica."

Lorena put her hand to her mouth, startled.

"But Zara's father managed to track the signal and found us. He took some police friends with him and managed to free us, arresting the criminals next. Only after that we were able to calm down and as soon as everything was solved, I went back home and now I'm back here."

"My son, I even got palpitations while hearing this story and thanks to the good Lord you are here with me. How the world is getting dangerous! This father of your girlfriend is a hero." She said, looking at Merko with satisfaction.

"Lady, you were just doing my duty, and my daughter's life was at stake. Good night for all of you! Now I must go. It was a pleasure meeting you, ma'am."

"Call me Lorena, please. After all, it looks like we're family now," she said, smiling uneasily.

"I like the sound of that. I hope we can see each other again."

She nodded at him before closing the door.

Everything seemed to be in order, at last. Nicholas didn't like lies, but he could not risk what he held dearest in his life either. The truth would put everyone at risk and your mother would never believe a story about aliens.

When they were alone, Lorena came to and could not contain the torrent of tears that came from her. She cried even more, giving a very tight hug to his eldest son. At first, the boy was frightened by his mother's attitude, but then he understood her and returned the hug, filling her with kisses and pampering her for the time that left her without news and worried.

At that moment, Sophia, who had just heard her brother's voice, rushed to meet him. She jumped into his neck, hugged him, and kissed him, saying,

"My brother, you're back. I love you! I missed you so much!"

"I love you too." He was so moved that his voice was choked.

He had also missed his family. He spent many months away from the two he loved so much. He needed that comforting embrace.

"So tomorrow you'll meet Zara, my girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" Sophia said "Yay, I want to meet her soon! Why didn't you bring her today?"

"Easy, little sister. Tomorrow comes fast and Zara needs to rest. The three women of my life need to get to know each other and I'm sure you will like each other a lot.

______________________________

Also read #ThePhantomMan Duology by #ChaieneSantosWriter