|53| Beautiful Incident

Start from the beginning

    "What if she's -- you know." He began to curve his hand in front of his stomach, indicating a bump. "Pregnant," he whispered.

    "Bro," Theo shouted. "I thought we agreed to always wrap it before we tap it. You know, because of your first beautiful incident."

    I began to panic. "She told me not it. She said she was on the pill."

    "Oh my effin' God," Jake groaned.

    "You act like you wrapped it up with Mya," I responded.

    "Again, oh my effin' God."

    Theo nodded at me. "I did. Every. Single. Time. And not because I didn't really love her. It was because stuff like this can happen. Birth control isn't 100."

    "Fuck. What if she is?" I threw my head back and rubbed my hands up and down my face.

    Cayleigh clucked her tongue at me. "Daddy, you said a bad word. Now you have to put some monies in the bad word jar."

    Daddy might have to put money in two bad word jars now, Princess.

• • • • • • • • • •

After spending the last few hours pretending like I was enjoying myself with my boys and our Princess, we all made our way back home. I tried my best to have a good time. I really did. But after the bomb that Jake dropped about the possibility of Brooke being pregnant, I just couldn't stop myself from worrying about that being true.

I know we're already one kid down. But as much as I love Cayleigh, I'd be lying if I said raising a newborn while going to school was easy. And Cayleigh was with the nanny for half of the day, so that's saying a lot right there.

    As soon as we walked through the door, Brooke went over to Cayleigh and picked her up. After placing a kiss on her puckered lips, she said to her, "Hi, my baby. Did you have lots of fun at Chuck E. Cheese?"

   "Mhmm." Cayleigh brushed away the few hairs that fell in her face from when Brooke lifted her. "But mommy, what's pregnant mean?"

    Oh, shit!

Brooke gave her a confused look, glanced over at me, then looked back to her. "Where did you hear that word from?"

Without skipping a beat, Cayleigh replied, "Daddy and Uncle Thee and Jakey. They said that you're pregnant. Does that mean we can have a puppy now?"

Brooke again looked at me, with a pointed look this time. She put one hand on her hip and lifted an eyebrow. It was her way of saying we were going to have a very long conversation about this.

She squatted down and placed Cayleigh back onto the floor. Looking at her at eye level, she explained, "Pregnant is when a lady has a baby in her belly."

"Eww. Why does she have a baby in her belly?"

She laughed at Cayleigh's reaction. "That's how a baby is made. They grow in their mommy's tummy."

"Did I grow in your tummy?"

I could see the panic fly across Brooke's eyes. This was one of the things she was worried about when Cayleigh first started calling her mommy, having to explain to her that she wasn't her biological mother.

    At the time, I wasn't really worried about it. But that was because I didn't think the situation would present itself so soon. And since I was already thrown off by this whole conversation and didn't have any idea how I was going to have this exact talk with Cayleigh, I didn't know how to help her.