|38| My Rugged Side

Brooke's POV

    As we got out back, I noticed it was now completely empty. I took a seat back down in the chair that I was originally sitting in. Mya leaned against the wall by the door. And Cayden... Cayden paced back and forth in front of me, probably wondering how to approach the upcoming argument the two of us were going to have.

Whether it was happening here or back at his house, that was up to him. Or up to his next set of words rather.

His walking back and forth began to irritate me. He was beginning to make me feel as if I was his child and he was deciding on what my punishment would be for my bad behavior. "Can you stop with the pacing already," I demanded. "Why don't you just spit out whatever it is you have to say?"

He stopped in his place and took in a deep breath. Turning around slowly, he looked at me with an annoyed face on. What it was for? I have no idea. But I'm sure he's going to let me know the answer to that question real quick.

    Hmm? He must've forgotten that we came to this party with him already being in the doghouse.

I sat there quietly, waiting for him to talk. I'll let him say his peace and get whatever it is he's holding onto off of his chest. But don't worry, I will verbally slap that irritated look right off his face. Immediately.

"What was that in there," he finally ask, semi-shouting.

I scoffed at his ignorance. Is he shitting me right now? "Depends. What are you talking about," I asked, playing as dumb as he was acting.

"I'm talking about why you're trying to get into a fight with Hazel for no reason?"

    Yep! He most definitely is shitting me.

    "For no reason," I yelled. "For. No. Reason. I'm sorry. Is all that alcohol you consumed affecting the way your ears work? Or did I just imagine the part where she asked me if I were your mother?"

"Brooke, it was just a joke?" He ran his hands through his hair, giving it a slight tug at the end.

I don't know why, but the fact that he just called me Brooke instead of baby or babe hurt. He only calls me by my name when he's serious or trying to make a point. And in this situation, I don't know which one of those two reasons he's doing it for. Or even why?

"It wasn't just a joke. And even if it was, who the fuck is she to add in her two cents. I don't even know her."

"Well, I do. I've known Hazel since we were freshmen. She's a cool girl."

I lifted one of my eyebrows at him and tilted my head back slightly. "Yep," I nodded at him. "She's so cool that she purposely put her body up against yours, knowing I was watching just to piss me the fuck off."

"No, she didn't." He made a face at me, telling me he didn't believe a word that was coming out of my mouth. "You're being ridiculous. We were all squished on that couch. She was probably just trying to make herself comfortable."

"I'm telling you right now that was not what she was doing." I stood up, getting angry at having to look up so high at him while defending myself. I was still a good foot shorter than him but it made me feel better knowing that I didn't have to break my neck looking up while arguing with him. "And even if it were, I'd appreciate it if you didn't let girls make themselves comfortable ON FUCKING TOP OF YOU!"

"Oh my God." He let out a humorless laugh. "She wasn't even on top of me. Do you hear yourself right now? You sound so stu—" He stopped before the ending of the word could leave his mouth.