|33| Romance Book Worthy

Cayden's POV

    As soon as the clock hit midnight, I knew it was time for me to go home.

    I was having a good time hanging out with my friends in the first couple of hours that I've been at Theo and Jake's frat party. But now, all I want to do is lay down in bed with my two girls cuddled up next to me.

    "Alright, boys," I announced to my teammates sitting next to me. "I'm gonna head out. You guys have a good rest of your night."

    "Already man? It's only 12," Aaron, one of the guys on the team, whined. "The party hasn't even really started."

    "Hey, our guy's got a family to get back to," Theo said.

    "More like a ball and chain." I'm sure he thought he muttered it under his breath but since he was already intoxicated in came out at a normal tone.

    "Watch it," Jake told him with a pointed glare. "That's my sister you're talking about. And she ain't even like that."

    Aaron put up his two hands in surrender. "I didn't mean no disrespect. I'm just saying, man. Cayd hardly ever hangs out with all of us anymore."

    "But it ain't from Brooke's doing. Unless you fucking forgot, he's got a daughter at home. One who's being taken cared of right now by that ball and chain you speak so highly of."

    I put my hand on Jake's shoulder. "Bro, chill." I tried to calm him down. "I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it."

    He dusted my hand off his shoulder and stood, leveling me up. "Nah. Fuck you, Cayd."

    What the hell did I do?

    "You're the one who should be defending her. Not me," he went on, answering my question. "Especially after all the shit she does for you." Then he walked away, rolling his shoulders and clinching his fists.

    Just for the record, I had every intention of defending Brooke. Jake just beat me to it. Obviously, I wouldn't have just sat there and let someone say stuff like that about her. Even if that person was one of my friends. I may be new to this whole boyfriend game, but even I know you shouldn't let your friends talk shit about your girlfriend.

    When I looked back at the couch where Aaron was sitting, he was no longer there. Good thing, too, because I would have looked pathetic as fuck yelling at him after getting yelled at myself for not yelling at him in the first place.

"I'm gonna go, bro," I said looking over at Theo.

"Okay." He patted me on the back. "And don't worry about all of this. Those two will be all cooled down by morning."

I hope so. I don't need to be on Jake's Shit List again. I just got off of the Goddamn thing. And I'm pretty sure it had a lot to do with Brooke secret convincing.

I slightly nodded my head and turned to leave. Just as I was about to walk away from my group of friends, Stephanie walked pass our circle. I nodded my head at her, making her wave at me in response.

    Through the corner of my eye, I saw Theo's mood change drastically. His calm, cool, and collected face turned angry as he started shooting death rays at Stephanie. Clearly, Stephanie saw it too because she stopped in her tracks, turned to Theo, and said, "What the fuck is your problem?"