|8| I Just Ruined Movie Night

Cayden's POV

    "Hello?"

    "Hey, Mya."

    "Hey, Cayd. I'm not with Theo if that's why you're calling."

    "It's not, actually," I paused.

    It's been two weeks since the incident happened between Brooke and I at Cayleigh's dental appointment. For one second, one amazing fucking second, I got to feel Brooke's soft, sweet lips on my own. And right when she started to part hers, granting me access into her mouth, Dr. Greene choose that exact same moment to walk into the room. Brooke immediately pulled away from me and turned her body to face Cayleigh in the chair.

    Throughout the entire appointment, she watched Dr. Greene work on Cayleigh's teeth. I swear, she watched her so hard, she could probably fix Cayleigh's teeth herself the next time she has a cavity.

    Even though I should have been giving Cayleigh my undivided attention, I kept catching myself staring at Brooke. I couldn't help it. The way she paid such close attention to my daughter, just made me feel — I don't know — things I've never felt for a woman before.

    When Cayleigh got scared of the cleaning tools and started crying, Brooke rushed over to her and began to gently rub her leg before my brain even had the chance to tell the rest of my body to stand up. Once she was calmed down, Brooke hesitantly walked back to her seat looking just was nervous as my daughter was. It was fucking adorable and took everything in me to not pull her on to my own lap to comfort her.

    As soon as we got to the car, Brooke jumped into the back seat so fast, I barely had my thumb off of the unlock button. She claimed that she really missed Cayleigh and she wanted to sit next to her. But ironically, she didn't miss Cayleigh as much as she let on considering when I offered to take her out to dinner later on that day as a thank you for coming with me, she immediately declined. Not even Cayleigh could guilt her into joining us.

    "Hello? Cayd, you there," Mya called into the phone.

    "Yeah. Sorry. I'm here."

    "So, what can I do for you?"

    "I was actually, umm, wondering if you were w-with Brooke," I asked nervously. So nervously, that apparently now all of a sudden I stutter. Never in my 21 years of living have I ever stuttered, especially when it came to girls.

    "Brooke," she asked, clearly confused. "Um, yeah. Actually, she right h..." I heard a thud.

    Then, a whole lot of whispering came from Mya's side of the line but I couldn't make out what was being said.

    "Hello? Mya? You there?"

    I waited a few seconds and contemplated on hanging up until Mya suddenly appeared back on the phone. "Sorry about that. I just got tackled by a wild animal and accidentally lost my phone for a second."

    What the fuck?

    "A wild animal? What the hell are you talking about, Mya?"

    "Don't worry about it. It seemed to have disappeared. Speaking of disappeared, Brooke just walked out the door. You just missed her."

    Does it look like I was born yesterday? "Really, Mya?"

    "Yeah, she literally just stepped out as soon as I..."

    "Got attacked by that wild animal," I finished for her.

    "Yup," she said popping her 'p'.