|30| Cradrulations

Brooke's POV

    I made it back to my seat with just a little under five minutes until the game. On the screen above us,  a prerecorded interview with Cayden, Theo, and one of their defensive teammates Trey started to play. It was probably recorded early this morning.

    I half listened to it as Mya, Cayleigh, and I got into a conversation of our own. They talked about the usual pregame interview stuff. How excited they were to be playing in the Championship game. How it feels to be the first DVU team to make it this far. How they prepared for the game.

    "That's great guys," the reported said. "Before we go, is there anyone specific you guys are going to be playing for in today's game?"

    Trey spoke up first. "Today I'm playing for my grandparents. They couldn't make it here today but I know they'll be watching. Love you Gram and Pops."

    "That's so sweet. I'm sure they're extremely proud of you," the reporter told him.

    Cayden, who was sitting next to him, patted Trey on the shoulder before speaking. "Today I'll be playing for my girls and my dad." I smiled, knowing I was included as one of his girls.

    "That's right. You have a daughter. Cayleigh?"

    "Yes."

    "And how is it? Being a father?"

    "It's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

    At the exact same time, every woman in the stadium said, "Aww!" Mrs. Jourdan, Mrs. Camden, Mya and I being the most genuine when saying it. Because no other female in this whole world knew how true that statement was when it came to him more than the four of us.

    Knowing how much Cayden disliked talking about Cayleigh to the public, Theo, being the best friend and uncle that he is, quickly brought the attention over to him. "Well, today, I'm playing for my girlfriend, my princess, and my family. Including Cayd's mom since he forgot to mention her."

    "Is my mom not a girl," Cayden asked him.

    Theo looked to the side of him at Cayden. "Nope. She's a woman," he smiled. He turned his head and looked directly into the camera quickly saying, "Love you moms!" Everyone started laughing, including the reporter.

    Mrs. Jourdan looked down a couple seats at Theo's mom, shaking her head. "What are we gonna do with that boy?"

    Mrs. Camden shrugged. "I'm just waiting for the day that Mya tells him 'I Do' so he's no longer my problem."

I see where Theo gets his sense of humor from.

• • • • • • • • • •

    We had less than a minute and a half left on the clock until the end of the game. We were down by six points but thankfully we had possession of the ball. All night long the guys have been taking pretty hard hits left and right. Theo and Jake the most.

    They're definitely going to be hurting in the days to come.

I was hurting just as much as the guys were. But in a completely different way. My type of hurt was through frustration. Frustration with a girl who I didn't even know but had the audacity to come to this game and wave a sign proudly in the air. And what did this sign say you ask.

SACK THAT QUARTERBACK!

I mean, I know it's something people cheer all the time at football games. But since the quarterback that this girl is referring to is someone who I care about, I'm feeling a little bit extra about that saying. That sign has me so heated that I'm literally on the verge of walking all the way around the stadium just so I can go to her, rip up her fucking sign then bonk, as my papa would say, her on the head with all the pieces.