|21| Real Mommy

Brooke's POV

    "Cayd? Are you still there?"

    His end of the line has been silent for a couple of minutes now since I finished telling him about Maddox's infidelity. I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at the small screen. The time indicating how long I've been on the phone was still running.

    If he fell asleep on me, he's going to hear a mouthful the next time we talk.

    "I didn't fall asleep." Damn, I must of said that out loud. "Sorry. Just give me a minute."

    A minute? A minute for what?

    "Okay," I mumbled.

    After that one minute turned into almost five, I finally heard him exhale loudly. "Are you okay over there," I whispered.

    "Yeah." He cleared his throat. "Sorry, I'm just trying to calm myself down because I'm dead set on booking a flight to Hawai'i right now just to kick your ex's ass."

    I smiled at his protectiveness over me. "You don't have to do that, babe. I didn't tell you about what happened between us to get you all heated. I did it so you could understand why I've been so hesitant to get into a relationship with you."

    He exhaled into the phone once again and let out a soft sigh at the end. "Thank you for trusting me enough to share that with me. But, just for the record, I would've waited for you to be ready for us regardless."

    "I know," I smiled. "And that's why I thought you deserved to know."

"So, was that the reason for your spur of the moment decision to go to a mainland college?"

"Yeah," I softly answered. We stayed on the phone for a couple minutes in complete silence, just trying to process the new piece of information that just came to light. "Hey, Cayd," I called out.

    "Yeah?"

    "I'm sorry I woke you up with my drama," I mumbled. Now that I'm calmed and have a clear head, I realized that maybe I should have waited until an appropriate hour to call Cayden. Cayleigh's going to be up in a couple hours from now. He should have been able to get all the rest he could get. Calling him this late, or early in the morning, was very selfish of me.

    "Brooke." The way he said my name sent a shiver down my spine. He hasn't called me Brooke at all for the past couple of weeks. He's either addressed me as baby or babe. He must mean business right now. "I don't want to hear you apologize ever again for calling me. Especially, if it's because you need someone to talk to. I don't give a fuck what time it is. Whether it's 3:00 in the morning or 3:00 in the afternoon. I don't even care if we're in the middle of a fight. If you need me, you call. Okay?"

    "Okay." I slightly smiled. "Thank you."

    "No thanks necessary, baby. I just hope that I can do the same with you."

    "You can."

    "Okay. Good!" I heard him ruffling in his bed again. "What side of your body are you laying on?"

    "My right. How come?"

    I heard him move around in his bed once more. "I'm laying on my side right now, holding onto the pillow that you used the night you slept over and pretending that it's you. It doesn't smell like your hair anymore. So when you come back, you're gonna have to do something about that."

    His cuteness made me laugh. "I miss you so much right now."

    "Me too, baby. I can't wait til you get home."