|3| The Best F***ing Small Party Ever

Cayden's POV

    "Hey, bro. Great game tonight," Theo said slapping me on the back.

    We just won our 9th game of the season and have an undefeated record so far. Everyone's excited because it's been years since the team's gone this long with holding that kind of record. But I try to stay humble. Anything can happen and I don't want to jinx it.

    "Yeah, you, too," I told him. "That 40 yard catch you made was crazy."

    "Shit, it was because you threw a perfect pass. Even Jake could've made that catch and we all know his fingers are buttery as fuck."

    "Fuck you, Theo," Jake told him while flicking him off. "A person has one off day at practice and all of a sudden you get labeled as butter fingers." He began wiggling his fingers. "And besides, girls love my fingers. Just like Disney, these are where the magic happen."

    Theo laughed, obnoxiously loud might I add. "Dude, that's a fucking good one. I'm gonna use that one on my girl one day."

    Theo and I have been playing football together for as long as I can remember and we've always been an unstoppable duo. I honestly believe I'm a pretty good quarterback but Theo, he's an even better receiver. There were many times when he made catches that were just unbelievable.

    Like when we were playing for States in high school. We were down by six points with no time left on the clock and 33 yards away from the end zone. I was stuck in the pocket and we only had one receiver open. I knew there was no way that kid could have made the touchdown. He was the farthest receiver away from the goal and there was a defender only a few yards in front of him who could easily break away from the player he was guarding to stop his run. So I looked for another option.

    I spotted Theo at the same time he turned around to look at me. He patted his chest telling me to throw him the ball. Two defenders were already on him and I knew they could easily intercept my ball. But I thought, fuck it. What do I have to lose? So I took a chance and launched the ball. But I overthrew it and hoped like hell he got my best friend brainwaves telling him to pick up speed. Long story short, he ended up running faster, breaking away from the two defenders and diving for the ball right before it hit the ground in the end zone.

    Later in the locker room, I asked him how he knew I was going to overthrow the ball if he never looked back until he got free from his defenders. He told me that he knew I wasn't dumb enough to throw him the ball while he was being sandwiched by two guys. So it was either run faster or slow down. He chose to run faster because one of the defenders told him that there was no way he could outrun him. But obviously, he could.

    Both Theo and I got full rides to multiple colleges across the country. I never planned on going to Dale Valley University because their football team was — to be honest, horrible. Playing for a bad team would make getting scout recognition hard. But then Cayleigh came along and I knew I needed my parents help raising her, so I decided to go to DVU which is only a 20 minute drive away from the house I grew up in.

    Even though he didn't have to, Theo decided to go to DVU with me. We had a huge fight about him going to a school that would help him out the best into getting in the NFL. But he wasn't hearing it. He can be a stubborn jackass sometimes. His reasonings for going to DVU were: we always said we would go to the same college, he wanted to help out with Cayleigh, his mom could still continue to do his laundry and feed him, and his biggest and most important reason, because I was so adamant about not wanting him to go there.

    But the upside to going to DVU, football wise, was that we both were starters in our freshman year. That might not have been the case had we gone to one of those top ranking football colleges. 

    We met Jake when we were freshmen. He's a great person and an even better friend. When we first met him, though, he wasn't the best receiver. To be honest, I don't even how he even made the team in the first place. I didn't even want to throw to him in practice, that's how bad he was. It was a good thing he was second string and barely went on the field.

    When our first season was over, Jake asked Theo and I if we could help him out whenever we had time. I thought that was cool of him to come up to us and ask for help. I mean, I probably wouldn't be able to do that. But then again, I have an ego problem. Jake doesn't have one of those.

    After training with him every week during the offseason, except when he went back home during breaks, Jake's talent spiked up extremely. Ex-fucking-tremely! Like warming the bench one season then starting the next, kind extremely. Since the three of us spent so much time together, Theo and I ended up becoming pretty close with him. At first, I felt bad because he's such a good guy and I don't even remember saying one word to him outside of practice that first year. But look at us now.

    "So...," Theo said. This isn't going to be good.

    "What do you want," I told him in my best uninterested voice.

    "Since Cayleigh's staying with your parents tonight. Why don't we have a little..."

    "No," I stopped him before he could go on.

    "You don't even know what I was going to say."

    "Yeah. I do. You wanna throw a party at my house. And the answer is no."

    "Come on, bro. I'm tired of going to frat parties and being around people who only wanna talk to me because I'm on the team."

    "Theo, I live in a family friendly neighborhood! Do you know what that means? It means that my neighbors are mothers and fathers with children who are most likely going to be waking up to the loud noises that are going to be made. I can guarantee the cops are gonna be called within the first 15 minutes of the party anyways."

    "Come on, the houses in your neighborhood are soundproof. Including yours. You just got your patio enclosed, so that gives us even more room. And it'll be a small group. No more than 60 people." He said it like that many people in a house was a less than normal amount of people to have in there. "Four different frats and sororities are having a party tonight anyways, so everyone will most likely be going to one of those."

    I continued to pack up my things while silently debating on if I was going to give into his antics. He and Jake just stood next to me, patiently waiting for my response. I could practically feel Theo's excitement bouncing away inside of him. He and I both knew I was going to let him do it.

    "50 people," I bargained. "And you're going to personally turn everyone else away. Also, we're going to take every personal thing from downstairs and put it upstairs. I don't want people knowing the house is mine. No one's allowed upstairs. You need to make sure someone, no, two someones, are at the bottom of my stairs the whole time. I don't wanna find out anyone was fucking on my daughter's bed. And," I smirked at him, "You're in charge of cleaning up. I'm not helping you at fucking all. My house better look like it does right now, tomorrow."

    "Deal," he said without even hesitating. I'm honestly not even 100 percent sure he even knew what my conditions for this party were. "But the people working the party don't get counted as one of the 50 people." He excitedly hit the top of the locker beside him. "I'm about to throw the best fucking small party ever."

    As he walked away, Jake shook his head at me. "You sure that was a good idea, dude," he asked me.

    "I know it's not. But at least I can get laid in my own bed for a change and not have to worry that I'm laying on someone's dried up cum."